NVIDIA GTX 1080 ti GPUs

1080 Ti are pretty decent for mining. We have built a few rigs to test density both for the rigs themselves and also for our power setup. Our FE cards usually stay at decent temps in the 60s.

Speaking to your point about water cooling - we have built a couple 6x 1070 rigs with the hybrid cards. The definitely stay cooler (high 30s - low 40s) and run very, very quiet. They also have higher hash rate on less power vs. air cooled cards. However, the difference is not very much and they still put out the same amount of heat which for us is the bigger issue.

In the end mining is all about ROI. We are experimenting now with immersion cooling which is very interesting.

1 Like

MSI GTX 1070 QUICK SILVER 8G 435 sol/s

1 Like

What sols / watt are you seeing with these cards?

Yeah, I push 10-15 sol/s less with evga but I think its worth it. My 2 MSI rigs are just hot. Just got the evga hybrids today. skeptical to see how much cooler they are.

Thanks for sharing. I saw your video. I’m very interested in your immersion cooling setup. I’m also experimenting with some underclocked founders edition rig setups.

Also, are you running EWBF’s miner (windows)? After noticing that it sometimes shuts down and fails to restart correctly I’ve writing a small script to handle this issue. I’ll post this in it’s own post shortly.

Here is a quick PowerShell (3) script to keep your EBWF miner running in the case that it fails and exits while you’re away.

It’s pretty simply, the script checks for the process and if the process isn’t running it attempts to restart it every 5 minutes. You can change that value (Sleep 300) at the end to less or more.

You’ll need to change the batpath, error path (or comment that out) and email information. This uses Gmail’s smtp and you will need to setup an application-specific password to make that part work. You could always leave out the email.

Also, if the app exits due to lost internet connection the email won’t send until it comes back online (obvious but worth mentioning).

I’ll be improving this over time, maybe adding desktop screenshots of the command prompt window? We’ll see.

In order to run this, save to a mine.ps1 file and throw it into the base EWBF directory, then run powershell as an administrator and cd into that directory. Then: .\mine.ps1

Last, in order to run this you might need to set Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted if you’re using this on more than one machine and transfer the .ps1 via usb. Kinda a hassle with PowerShell, but I figure it’s cross-platform so someone on linux/mac might be able to us this as well.

# make sure to use these flags in the bat file: --eexit 3 --log 1 --logfile error.txt
while($true) {
  $batpath = "C:\Users\username\path\to\batfile.bat"
  # get mining process
  $mining = Get-Process miner -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
  # check to see if the process exists
  if (!$mining) {
    # start the process
    Start-Process $batpath
    # give it time to startup
    Sleep 5
    $didrestart = Get-Process miner -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
    if ($didrestart) {
      $message = "ZecBot - Restarted miner."
    } else {
      $message = "ZecBot - Unable to restart miner."
    }
    Write-Host $message
    # email
    $pwd = ConvertTo-SecureString 'yourGmailAppPassword' -AsPlainText -Force
    $cred = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential yourmail@gmail.com,$pwd
    $body = Get-Content -Path C:\Users\username\path\to\error.txt -Raw
    $param = @{
      SmtpServer = 'smtp.gmail.com'
      Port = 587
      UseSsl = $true
      Credential  = $cred
      From = 'yourmail@gmail.com'
      To = 'yourOtherMail@gmail.com'
      Subject = $message
      Body = $body
    }
    Send-MailMessage @param
  } else {
    Write-Host "mining"
  }
  # wait 5 mins, change this as desired
  Sleep 300
}

Please comment for additions/improvements/etc. I might throw this into a repo if someone finds it useful.

12 Likes

Anywhere from 2.5-3.2 Sol/w but right now I don’t really care about power usage so I’m at 98% power.

how about MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SEA HAWK X ?
899eur

I can’t seem to find any difference between this and the Corsair Hydro 1080 ti. The Corsair site says they worked with MSI to develop their version and the base clocks are the same. The only difference seems to be the fan (maybe Corsair’s is nicer). The new MSI one also has the Corsair logo on it - so I’m pretty sure the only difference is branding.

The Corsair one has a PMW fan and I can’t find that on the MSI version, but it would make sense. The PMW fan is one of the big selling points over the EVGA 1080 ti all-in-one, that uses a 3pin to on-board gpu fan.

from : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X review - Introduction

" … That heat will lead towards a low-profile aluminum radiator, which is easy to install and can fit in anychassis being equipped with a silent 120 mm PWM controllable fan…"

or you are talking something else?

How are your eVGA performance/temperature? I’ve just ordered it in amazon and waiting…

The first GPU is a 1080 TI Amp Extreme with default settings:

The EVGA cards are great, 750 Sol/s slightly overclocked and around 50C at 98% power.

The only issue is that you can only run 4 to a rig due to EVGA Precision software limitations. Other overclocking software doesn’t have manual control over both fans and the stock fan curve settings are not aggressive enough for mining.

That review is on the 1080 and not the 1080 ti btw.

I am kinda newbie to the business but i did build my Rig. 2x1060 1x1070 1x1080.
Haver tried overclock, underpower, etc to find my sweet spot.
I was able to get 560 1080 / 450 1070 / 300 1060 but around 80C with all fans at 100%.
At this point i have set all the fans on the Auto and i cant barely notice that the Rig is running. Everything nice under 65 and 480W out of the wall.

1 Like

I have two of the Aorus 1080 ti and one of them is running at 76 degrees C while the other is running at 67 degree C.

They are not near each other, not connected to the monitor, pulling same wattage and putting out the same sol/s.

Did you experience the same problem with the Aorus?

The hybrids? Worst investment for mining.

Had tons of problems. I was running them on a completely separate 20A breaker. More than enough for this one rig. 1600W EVGA PS2.

This thing only wanted to run 5 hybrids at once. Whenever I threw in the 6th one, it throttled so bad due to power. I was losing my mind.

I swapped out the riser, made sure EACH CARD had its own SATA power cable for the riser. Nothing.

Swapped the 6th card out with a normal EVGA SC ACX, and it was fine after that.

I don’t know, maybe it was my biostat tb250 board not liking them. But that was BS. Not sure how others on this forum are running 6-8 hybrids on one 1600W EVGA.

I am just going to stick with the EVGA SC ACX cards like I always have been. Works flawlessly.

I must say tho, in my hot basement, those hybrids run at 40c+ at stock settings.

Hey Cristiycv,

When you talk about First GPU, Are you talking about GPU0 ??

Thanks

Do you have both of them on risers?

Thought id add to the forum. Ive just started mining for the first time. 4 days in. 2 x Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Auros both over clocked. Averaged 1450 Sol/s. They run way too hot… Need to use a heavy duty metal fan to help keep temps below 80 degrees. Top card sits at 77 deg. bottom card at 66. Made 0.20 ZEC so far. Also have some work machines running over night on CPU and my NUC going 24/7.