NVIDIA GTX 1080 ti GPUs

Ohh ffs i made it coplicated, so i have a rig ready to mine, but still with one gpu, am going to add more bit later.
Back to topic i want to put the gpus and the rizers, with out any sata, molex cables. Instead use the same pcie power cables to power the rizers, to do that i need the pcie power cable spliters, so i can have 8+6pin connectors for the gpu, and one 6pin for the pcie rizer. So i can use the pcie power cable to power both, the gpu and rizer for it… Hope u understand now :DDD

Yes, I understand better now.

No I would not do that. If the gpu was a single 8 pin or single 6 pin power need, then you could use the split cable that comes with the psu unit to power the gpu and riser.
But no, powering the riser with a splitter while also providing dual power to the GPU, that is way outside safe / best practice.

1 Like

Don’t even try it: it might even work (with garanteed lower performance) but it could cause permanent damage to MB, riser and/or GPU.

I have three different cards, but they all get around 750 sol/s.

1080 TI FE 85% power 1950 GPU clock 5600 mem clock 62C
EVGA 1080 TI SC Black Edition 85% power 1950 GPU clock 5600 mem clock 47C
MSI 1080 TI Gaming X 85% power 1950 GPU 5600 mem clock 53C

I have 2 more EVGA 1080 TI SC coming in and a Zotac Amp Extreme Core so will be interesting to see if they all perform the same. Hopefully my second power supply shows up soon to power all of this.

I have many identical 1080ti FE’s. None of them perform the same from a temp perspective. The silicon GPU dies have vastly different yields and performance from die to die and wafer to wafer, just like CPU’s.

So each GPU will have very different over clocking levels and will run at different temps if you let them. Pulling the same temp on all GPU’s (this is what I do) will cause your performance numbers to shift. However, from my experience the average will remain relatively the same depending on the number of cards you have (some will go up to 780-790, some will drop to 720).

I understand why you would not want the SATA connector. A single PCI riser can draw more power than it is rated for based on the PCIe specifications. But why would you not want to use the 4 pin Molex? its rated at 11amps and safely power 2 PCI risers.

Using the splitter would be to much power on the PCI power cable and VERY dangerous.

Please refer to this post:

My temps are 84c how do i reduce this down? What should i be looking at turning down to achieve 70c ish?

Im using EWBFs miner

THanks.

MSI afterburner - set to to 75 or less (when you do make sure you desync power and temp link)

you’ll see and understand when you have it open and make the change

1 Like

Run your fan at 100%, will bring temps down to mid to low 60C, unless you have airflow issues. If its still high then reduce power as suggested by CitricAcid.

100% fan? then I suggest to order some spare fan they will day freaking fast…

1 Like

I was using nvdiai inspector and when i set the temps to say 65c it wouldnt auto control the fan to get it to this temperature.
Same problem with afterburner.

Currently running at base clocks with 100% power and fan at 81%

Temps are sat at 65c trying to balance fan speed to temps just reducing to 71% at the moment seeing what affect that has on temps

What are you talking about? I have many GPU’s fans running at 100% for almost two years now. I have never seen high failure rate if you do preventative maintenance… But yes I have fans in my spare part inventory and replace one occasionally.

Why would you not run your fans at 100% on a mining farm? That makes no sense.

You need to switch that around. Run a constant fan speed and auto the power level to hit the desired temp. Additional external airflow is helpful on the FE versions but not necessary.

My rigs average 450-480Sol/sec at a set temp of 63C.

Sorry my rigs do 750-780Sol/sec not 450-480Sol/sec… it was late

are you aware about the optimitaion possibilties of nVidia cards?
also do you have maybe a picture of your rig?

https://gleam.io/GQOtm-o7WsmO
you may be interested
it’s a gtx 1080 ti giveaway open worldwide

Hmmm… joined to post a link to an outside site that shows a blank page. Nothing bad reported or happened on my Mac, but curious if it will behave differently for Windoze…

The 1080ti’s that are triple fan cooled, I run at 100% power, on auto fan control temp set to 75 and the fans are running between 60% and 62%.
Something to keep in mind, whatever power you dedicate to the GPU the fans take part of that. So if you are running at 90% power with fans at 100%, you are taking power to run the fans at 100% that is not being used for H/s.

Hi CitricAcid,
Oops I just noticed my error, my rigs average 750-780Sol/sec not 450-480Sol/sec… is was late.

Yeah I don’t use any of the triple fan models for that reason. I have FE blowers, they are more efficient and cost less.

Unless you are water cooling, the rate limiting factor on power is cooling. With fan at 100% my chosen temp set point becomes the rate limiting factor. So at any given point in a day my rigs are doing the maximum hash they can given the ambient temp.

With my OC levels many GPU’s start becoming unstable at a set temperature of 64C, this is why water cooling is not worth it (the ROI does not work out). This is actually a good thing, I cycle through my GPU as resale, I would not want to buy a GPU that has been mined at 75C! So I wont sell a GPU that has been used in those conditions. I have log files for every hour a GPU has run so I can show its usage history over its life, and they never see higher than 65C. Replace the fan, clean the heat exchange fins, and I can resell a GPU with a clear conscience.

I appreciate the information. I am glad the FE GPU’s work for you, they did not work for my vision of how a rig should run.

all of my rigs are in a 65F server room with a 52% humidity setting.

Way back in the beginning (after my AMD Fury rig) I purchased 2 1080Ti FE GPU’s and 2 1080ti EVGA GPU’s, for $$ reasons and testing. Technically spec’s put the FE card above the 3 fan GPU.

Even at 100% fan, the FE card ran hotter and at a 30 H/s to 50 H/s below the 3 fan 1080 TI at stock and overclock settings. This was slight variations in H/s difference when testing fans on auto and 100%, but the triple fan GPU always performed better. just want to add that this is how it was for me.

Has far as Hybrids go, I disagree that the ROI does not work out. the price difference between a EVGA 1080ti 3 fan GPU and a 1080ti Hybrid is usually USD $30 to $50. The temps never ago above 48c. I get a slightly higher H/s over the 3 fan, a more consistent rate, and a better resale value.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

I don’t have a 65F ambient so I have to work with 70F+… except in winter.

Each of my rigs has a secondary box fan for supplemental air flow. This is more to direct the heat toward the cooling system intakes but also cooled the GPU’s a few C.

For me: I found that you must maintain a ratio between the GPU OC and Memory OC. There is a pretty significant difference when you have the right ratio (just like a CPU). I have code that sweeps the Mem OC for each GPU OC on each card. Once I have identified the Max GPU OC then the Mem OC can be set to the optimum. Once I am at this point the temp is the rate limiting factor for my H/s.

I set my GPU’s at 62-63C because I discovered that once the OC is optimized the GPU’s will start to become unstable with power and temp. For example: when my GPU’s were set to 62C and the winter temps plummeted the software tried to increase power to maintain a 62C temp. However, several GPU’s on different rigs started to become unstable. I didn’t expect this and my software did not have a power limit set for reboots (they do now). Then (again cold) I had GPU’s start to drop hash rate (not hang just drop hash). The software compensated with increased power. At some point the power could not compensate for the lower temps and the rig rebooted due to lower GPU performance (I allow 10% drop from the GPU moving average). However, the power was now set rather high, and once rebooting the temps hit my limit of 70C and caused a reboot before the power level could be dropped (reboot loop). That was harder to fix but my rigs text me when they reboot more than 3 times in 15 min so I caught it pretty quickly. Now I sweep power setting as well after GPU OC and Mem OC have been set. This gives me a power limit for each GPU as well.

So my point being that I have run into more issues with cold rather than heat so water cooling would not increase my earnings since I am running cold now. Running the fan at 100% on my rigs ensures I get the max hash rate I can with the absent temp and a power limits set for each GPU. However, in all honestly I have not tried a fan sweep… but that would be a very difficult matrix to interpret.

There is also a harmonic present on Nvidia GPU’s between the GPU OC and the Mem OC. Its rather hard to find but its ~20H/s, so worth it. I have just started writing beta code to find the oscillation and compensate for it.

Would be interesting to compare notes sometime.

2 Likes