We got a lot of love from around the internet this week. I’ll share those before getting into the Engineering update. If you have questions or feedback, don’t be shy. Drop your thoughts in the comment section below.
“2020 is going to be the year of the SNARK” - Charles Hoskinson, CEO IOHK
This thread warmed my heart this morning. Who’s the one person who helped you along your Zcash journey? And guess what, next Monday, this journey hits the three year mark! That’s right, Monday 10/28, Zcash turns three years old!
Core Team: Previously the Arborist team, this team focuses on the development of the zcashd client, librustzcash and protocol upgrades. Follow along with team discussions in the Community Chat #public-community-arborist
Updates from this week
- Release v2.1.0 rc1 · Pull Request #4169 · zcash/zcash
- Mempool limit/DoS mitigation merged PR#4145
- MacOs fixes PR#4166, PR#4157
- Identified bug PR#4177 - fix in review and planned for 2.1.0
- https://github.com/zcash/zcash/pull/4171 – this makes it easy to define and run AFL fuzzing against parts of zcashd
Dates are still pending for Blossom activation date/height and feature selection for NU4 will be delayed (it was originally scheduled for 10/31). New dates will be announced soon.
- This week, we evaluated Agile project management tools, updated the testnet faucet, and internal logging and continued to monitor infrastructure.
- We’re making progress on the iOS SDK, which now can get blocks, store them, and scan blocks for transaction data. We have also created an Android SDK demo app that showcases a range of functionality (link here). The demo app exercises: get private key, get address, get the latest height, get block, get block range, list transactions, and send.
- Librustzcash has reached good enough test coverage (mid-60%), and it not only has more test coverage, but it’s running smarter tests. In addition to this, more of our work has been based off wallet developer feedback, which I think is a good thing. Go team!
- In other wallet related news
ECC out and about: Meet the team IRL
Daira and Str4d will give two talks at an upcoming ZKProof Community Event in Amsterdam (10/28 - 10/29). Str4d’s talk will be on Halo itself, and Daira’s will be an update of hir scaling proposal.
ECC will be attending San Francisco Blockchain Week 10/28 - 11/3.
The next DevFund Protocol Hangout is 11/6. The discussion will be hosted by Sonya and you can sign up here.
The Crypto Community Project is an educational initiative based in the South Bronx. The next workshop is on 11/7 and 11/8. You can learn more about the project and read the student profiles here.
36th annual Chaos Communication Congress presale is live. Learn more about the event here. The 36C3, which will take place at Messe Leipzig, is the largest hacker conference in Europe. Around 17,000 participants are expected 12/27 through 12/30.