Official Shielded Support for Zcash In Ledger HW Wallet

Thank you for sharing this @nicolas-ledger .

Undoubtedly, Ledger has been and remains a key actor in the crypto ecosystem. I am thankful for the product your company has built.

I can see very clear pros and cons to using your devices, which I have elaborated on previously already so no need to go over all of those. That is aside from one: locked ecosystem.

I happen to be one of the people that have ZEC tokens locked in your devices. This is utterly unacceptable to me. I’m not part of ZF, or ECC or anyone you have already spoken to. I am just a user, stuck, because I have decided to trust you. Yes I know one supposedly can use recovery key, but I am not in such position. Maybe I lost it, maybe it’s planted in some desert island, it doesn’t matter, fact is funds should never be stuck on devices you produce. Thankfully people here have been working very hard to get people like me unstuck. I really wish it wouldn’t have had to be that way and Ledger would have been the one taking ownership of the problem.

Point is: I must repeat that, in general, I am very thankful for the work being done at Ledger. However the current direction taken is one where trust is becoming more part of the equation. I wish it would be the opposite. Hopefully it will be in the future.

1 Like