Poll - Zcash: Privacy in Every Transaction?

How different are our views for the future of Zcash?

Zcash’s mission in 5 or less words should be to maximise:

• User Control over Financial Information
  • Privacy Standards in Cryptocurrency
  • Transaction Privacy in Digital Currency
  • Something like that
  • Other

0 voters

What types of transactions are included in this mission to increase privacy? (My opinion below)

On-chain Cross-chain Off-Chain
ZEC :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
ZSA :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Contracts :heavy_multiplication_x: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
KYC^ :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:

^ this more broadly would also include other claim/attestation abilities (e.g. proof of X)

Do you agree with the table above?

• Yes
  • No
  • Still thinking

0 voters

Explanation of table above.

On-chain Cross-chain Off-Chain
ZEC Zcash to Zcash Zcash to other chains Enabling transactions to happen off-chain (e.g. Transaction Aggregation)
ZSA " " "
Contracts Contracts are stored on-chain (e.g. Ethereum) A Zcash transaction can trigger a contract on another chain (e.g. Ethereum) A Zcash transaction can trigger an off-chain contract (e.g. Exchange)
KYC^ A user can comply with KYC requirements using on-chain features KYC claims could be transfered to other chains KYC claims could used, verified, transfered off-chain
2 Likes

I should have made the poll “more/less/doesn’t make sense” :joy:. I’d love to know everyone’s reasoning for the votes so far so we can find out where our views differ and find the common ground and mission for aligning Zcash into the future :smiling_face:. DMs also open.

This is odd as #1 vote receiver because it is more than Zcash can technically accomplish. Financial information will always exist in user’s lives that is outside of the context of Zcash’s capabilities. I don’t advise any Zcashers to be presuming the tax, property equity, or paystubs (other Financial information) would be under the control umbrella for Zcash.

I’ve always felt that the mission is quite clear. Zcash will provide a global user base with the ability to conduct purely private, direct, cheap, fast, permissionless peer to peer digital cash-asset transactions (with the bonus of the encrypted memo field, for inclusion of text, receipts, or other arbitrary content).

Efforts to over complixify Zcash and the feature set it wants to try muddies the water. Zcash was never envisioned as a programmable smart contracts layer, nor was ZEC ever envisioned as a multi-chain L1 interoperability asset.

It strikes me that the authentic Zcash mission is nowhere close to being fulfilled, yet the ecosystem is splintering its imaginations and its splintering the messaging about what Zcash is and where it is going.

2 Likes

I don’t think there is anything odd about it a mission to “Maximise User Control over Financial Information”. To me that simply reads as taking steps towards doing things that Zcash can technically do to maximise user control over financial information. If tax/property equity/paystubs are not under the control umbrella for Zcash then we won’t maximise those bits. If they ever move into the control umbrella for Zcash we will maximise those bits.:person_shrugging:

How would you suggest we reword that option?

Reword it to “control over financial transactions information” ?