Power supply/s for 7 * r9 Fury nitro OC

Link no longer showed a product.

This 2400W PSU output is 12.5V
it will shorten the life of your equipment as over voltage… becareful.

the main problem is that PSU output is 12.5V… not 12V

It is not hard to find server PSU, the main concern is SAFETY issue…

As some technical guys said riser must connect with MB PSU.
some technical guys said riser must connect with 2nd PSU (server PSU)
This is problem 1.)

PC PSU is not able to auto kick up the server PSU, have to do it manually.
not sure any problem as being told no ground in between 2 PSU
This is problem 2.)

if build a GTX1080TI rig, the total power consumption can over 13A very easy…
7 card is 1800W already… not included MB…etc
How to balance the loading is another issue to avoid overload…
This is another concern…

for a safety long run business, safety should be first prioirty…
it can lead to death… not kidding…

sorry, must be a cache issue. here’s the link https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/schurter-inc/6051.2051/486-1600-ND/2682479

if it still doesn’t work, google 486-1600-ND for the part number. damn only 14 $ usd, you american have it good over there.

Hi Lubu,

This is all good information I am seeing from Caocao. I started with 6 R9 Fury cards on one rig. I used 2 EVGA PSUs, 1,600 + 1,300, but quite expensive. And as you can see, if you ask two people how to properly integrate 2 PSUs on one rig, you will get three different answers. I like this 2400 watt setup from Parallel Miner and if I were starting new, I would go with that. One PSU - X-adapter cards, and 6 pin cables can power the newer Blue PCIe riser boards which do not have the Molex <-> Sata adapters. And the picopsu.

A note on the HP server PSUs.

The 1,200 watt blue label on top models (HP P/N 643933-001, or 643956-101) use a regular U.S. power cord and can run on 110v but are horribly inefficient and run extremely hot to the touch that way. The 1,200 HP PSU requires a step-up transformer (or 240v) to run at “platinum” efficiency. The HP 1,500 PSU (P/N 684532-B21, or 684529-001, listed as a “1500W Common Slot Platinum Plus Hot-Plug Power Supply” on eBay) also takes a normal U.S. power cord three prong type cord but will not run on 110v, you must plug into a step-up transformer in the U.S. (240v). eBay has 3,000 and 5,000 step-up/step-down transformers for @ $100 with the price difference so small, I would go with the 5,000 watt version.

But better still, go with a single 2,400 watt server PSU as Caocao explains.

But let me say this: I run my Nvidia cards at between 75% - 85% TDP, depending on the card, I get high hash rates, and I am not drawing 2,000 watts from the wall, not even close. When I was running R9 Fury’s that was the case, and ZC93 is right: when you get up to 2,000 watts, only run one miner per circuit in your dwelling or at the very least you will trip your circuits. I know because this happened to me.

And if you use any type of extension cord, (not recommended) get 12 AWG gauge if you can. Do not get “outdoor rated” or something similar without paying close attention to the wire gauge itself.

Also, even with the HP 1,500 watt PSU, you will notice certain “hot spots” on the top of the PSU. I tried strapping an aluminum heat sink with large fins on top of the PSU (using thermal grease) and it made a big difference. You can find large size aluminum fin heat sinks on eBay for <= $25 USD. A quick and dirty way to secure the heat sink to your server PSU so that it doesn’t slide around and fall off: I wrapped some “44” rosin core soldering wire around the PSU and about 7 -8 fins of the heat sink. There’s probably a more elegant way to clamp the heat sink to your PSU, but this will work and heat sink will pull heat up and away from your PSU. It’s relatively cheap to add a heat sink to your server PSU and if you also use external fans of any sort, this will make a positive difference. Search ebay for “large aluminum heatsink for LED power amplifier” and check the measurements against your server PSU.

$159 for the Parallel Miner 2,400 watt setup, 850 units in stock, + $100 for step-up transformer + proper power cord see Caocao links. Versus $400 for EVGA 1,600 watt PSU, and $170 for 2d EVGA 1,300 watt PSU, plus 2PSU dongle, etc.

Good luck and happy mining.

Hi, Nestorius,

Any Ground issue in between the server PSU and computer PSU?
As Mr.ZC93 said, if manual on and off the server PSU, it have a grounding issue in between 2 PSU, rather than using a adapter to join 2 computer PSU together. (via a adapter to made 2PC join together)

That 2400W Delta brand server PSU, output is 12.5V instead of 12V, it made me not dare to use it…

Now I plan to use a 1600W P2 EVGA as power supply to 6 1080ti
another 2 x 1080ti standalone on board plug on difference 2 computer.
and all riser connect by PCIE cable on the 2 computer PSU.

Computer A ( 1x 1080ti on board + 3x 1080ti via riser) 1GPU + 3 x riser power by PCIE Computer A PSU
Computer B ( 1x 1080ti on board + 3x 1080ti via riser) 1GPU + 3 x riser power by PCIE Computer B PSU
and then that 6x 1080ti 8pin+8pin power via the EVGA 1600W P2

so on 1 rig, I have two computer with two standalone PSU, and a 1600W PSU supply power to 6 GPU which is not on board. (total 3 PSU in rig but they have NO connection in between, the 1600W PSU need power on by myself first)
I just use the 1600W PSU as a HP Server PSU.

I just not made sure if it have any danger if I not join that 1600W PSU with that 2 difference computer…
as being told that ground issue…

Any advise???

Joseph :slight_smile:

What drives are you guys using for r9 nitro?

I’m hanging on 15.12 and 16.3.2.

Help!

Claymore’s ReadMe introduction points out much better performance on R9 with drivers from the 15.x.x series, don’t use 16.x.x drivers.

I forget, but I think I was using 15.12.x - the version Claymore recommends - gives you the best performance.

Why couldn’t a picopsu be tied to a 2PSU? I think that would work.

You can see how Parallelminer wires their Picopsu here:

http://www.parallelminer.com/product/160watt-24pin-atx-power-module-included-sata-molex-cpu-power-connectors-bypass-your-atx-power-supply-entirely/

Yeah they hanged with 15.12 and 16.3.2 which the read me file recommended.

I’m using 16.3 at intensity 6. Giving me 460 hash per

But I can only get four cards running for now