Sapling to Orchard Migration?

So there is only about 15k shielded zec in the Orchard pool, which I’m surprised about.

I understood uptake was slow originally since the only wallet that was compatible with Orchard was zcashd, which is a cli full node wallet, only available for linux.

But we now have zecwallet lite (a gui light wallet) available for pretty much every platform on mobile and desktop.

I would have thought that the number of shielded zec in orchard would have skyrocketed.

I did see it at around 35k one day, but it is back to 15k now.

What does the community think the reasons are that uptake is slow? And what could we do about it?

Do people think a sapling to orchard migration tool (like we have for sprout to sapling) would help?

Do people think it’s a GUI issue with the mobile or desktop wallets that people aren’t understanding that there is something better to switch to, or they don’t know how to switch?

What are people’s thoughts?

Shouldn’t every transparent zec in any of these wallets automatically be shielded into the orchard pool?

I’m not surprised because:

• 95% of people are unable to figure out how to sync their full nodes
  • Of these people, even fewer know how to use zcash-cli to send and use UA’s correctly
  • Because of the sync issues, Zecwallet Fullnode is unusable for almost everyone.
  • Ywallet, the most used wallet it seems, does not support UA’s yet
  • Other mobile wallets from my experience are still unusable past the first few tx’s. ( Syncing still takes too long)

Happy to note all these issues will be fixed soon, but the frustration levels are high considering the above. The learning curve continues to be steep for those outside the security/engineer/crypto veteran circles.

I think a tool to migrate could help but its not what the real issue is.

3 Likes