Sarah Jamie Lewis announces her candidacy for the Major Grants Review Committee

Auditing is a very overloaded term, so I’m going to break it down slightly to clarify meaning.

• Financial Auditing: A full review of the books and operations of an entity - generally very expensive when it comes to small teams, and a major hurdle in the technical grant space as many grant committees require it. I do not think it wise to require such audits of grantees as it drastically slows the process and limits the potential pool of applicants. If there are special circumstances (i.e. very large grants) where such an audit would be prudent, I’d like to see it built into the budget of the grant.

• Security Review / Auditing: Also a very overloaded term, sometimes part of a legal requirement (e.g. handling credit cards directly), sometimes not. It is very clear to me that several Zcash ecosystem grants have not had sufficient funding dedicated to security review and if elected I would push to have a standardized security review process be a mandatory requirement of a technical grants. This may involve funding a team dedicated to this work, or working with existing teams to conduct the reviews.

I’ll note at this point that I used to be a “Security Certifier” (and a Security Engineer) for Amazon and have extensive experience conducting security audits across a range of systems handling extremely sensitive data and managing external teams to run large scale, multi-month security engagements (both assessments and red teams) - I’ve also at this point found, reported and occasionally several vulnerabilities in existing Zcash ecosystem projects.

As such I understand the amount of work that goes into such reviews (from all sides), and even with a template and standardized process there is always going to be need for customized reviews for each grant (either when defining scope, or directly reviewing such consequences).

We could define very precisely what we consider to be a pass and a fail for the audit, a fail would just require a revised application imo.

Audits are rarely pass/fail - ideally an audit (whether financial or technical) provides an essential insight into how a system operates, what risks are prevalent, how those risks are being managed and how the system will evolve in the future.

An audit might occasionally raise a risk so severe that the programme needs to stop and immediately address it, but more often than not you end up with a long list of potential risks that need to be managed. - (see the updated Zbay Grant which acted on my suggestions to include more milestones for better tracking and managing risks as they develop.)

Ultimately, this is why I am skeptical of proposals that require the committee to work less than full time, someone needs to be keeping tracking of how the MGRC is distributing funds, what risks are at play (no grant is ever 0-risk), and how teams are dealing with them.

6 Likes