yes, this can be done to qt wallets if you modify the shortcut on the desktop, in case you are talking about a windows OS as i’am not familar with linux.
example how it looks on my end:
Explaination and step by step:
- install QT exe file and run it
- make a shortcut from the .exe file to the desktop
- close wallet, no need to sync at this stage.
- find the data folder on your system, it’s in %appdata% mostly.
- create a data folder wherever you like, can be an external HDD as well.
- copy all the content from the original %appdata% folder to your new created folder on the hdd of your choice
- now go to the shortcut on your desktop you created earlier.
- hit “properties”
- within properties go to the “shortcut” menu
- there you see a line “Target”
- add this after .exe and leave a free space behind the exe: -datadir=F:\your_folder
(replace F:\ with your hdd letter and replace “your_folder” with the full path where your new created folder you copied the %appdata% conent over is.
- Start the wallet with the desktop shortcut only. IF you don’t start it with the desktop icon it WON’T work!!!
- You are done
Hope this helped you and is what you are looking for. I think there was another way to accomplish the same, but way more difficult, can’t even remember it. This seems to be the only reliable easy way to do it, maybe others have experimented with other ways, but i’am not aware of any other than the more complicated one.
Edit: I have asked and suggested the ZEC wallet dev to include somewhere in future to add the possibility to choose the location of the datafolder allready while doing the whole wallet setup and i’am pretty sure this will be included soon or late. Than by default you have the choice to use an external HDD as the data location. Until than just use the above method.