Str4d standalone miner memory error

Hello

I used @str4d standalone miner and I get memory errors with 2gb of memory, is that normal?

I was testing on suprnova pool, with no genproclimit definition in my zcash.conf

Thanks

stdout:

Round 8:
- Sorting list
- Finding collisions
Final round:
- Sorting list
- Finding collisions
Found 0 partial solutions
Culling solutions
- Number of invalid solutions found: 0
Running Equihash solver with nNonce = 0000000000000000000000000000000395000008000000000000000008000094
Generating first list
Round 1:
- Sorting list
- Finding collisions
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc
Aborted

I believe you need more mem

I guess, yes, but this is way above 1Gb/ process…

Str4d’s miner is fully unoptimized, its merely just a proof-of-concept and it is heeellll sloooow. I think later miners will be much better.

That’s not particularly fair, and also completely tangential to the current thread, which is about RAM usage. :slight_smile:

My miner was initially optimised for RAM usage, rather than speed (because being the first implementer, I needed to discover what parameters were feasible before being able to optimise for speed). I do have other ideas that I think will help a lot wrt peak RAM, but that’s beside the point here.

My guess for the issue here (without seeing any RAM readings) is that after subtracting the RAM required to run the OS, the available RAM is almost exactly the average usage of my solver. Thus on some runs it will be under, and on other runs it will go over and abort (as evidenced by the provided log, which shows one completed run and a second run that fails in the first round).

2 Likes

Aaaw, I’m sorry, I didn’t meant to be harsh, I just meant that probably RAM usage and or other specs will be more optimized in other versions of the miner and that with the current version 2 GB system RAM is simply too low

Do this zcash coins mined on testnet have value once mainnet is launch?Thanks

I saw “job not found” and “Miner gave incorrect result” warnings on this str4d standalone mine.

No, none at all, it’s just for testing

1 Like