The Forum that Could Be

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with some private spaces, as long as they co-exist with public spaces.

The forum is about zcash, developing & supporting it, getting involved. There’s a core group who are into that and private spaces offer a different environment - so different discussions, more signal less noise, more like a working environment than a social one.

I’d also like to see some of our trolls starve (or at least go on a diet).

Edit: smelling mistakes

5 Likes

Why is my post flagged? It has likes. Can moderator explain?

You maligned another user’s intentions without proof. That’s not allowed.

4 Likes

Hypocrisy!

You let poster accuse everybody of being unhealthy.?!!

without proof???

Generalizing about the state of the forum is pretty different from a personal accusation that targets a particular person.

2 Likes

I propose to set the forum to private mode. Only people (with proofs) holding/mining/developing ZEC can join.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s a good idea. This should be a good place for newbies to come learn and experiment — in fact, I’d like to improve that experience for new people.

4 Likes

I suggest the same goes for the reddit and twitter Zcash accounts. A holding of at least 100 ZEC sounds reasonable to ensure a healty ZEC holder loge. Maybe even adding a KYC procedure makes sense as well. [ironic-mode-off]

1 Like

This function seems to have a major bug or flaw. While i thought so it’s a good function today i witnessed that a user can easyly abuse this feature of flagging posts and make them hidden.

While i used that flagging option myself today for a post that got repeated endless times with intention and accused me of making a funding proposal with the intention to irritate the community which is not the case and shouldn’t with any proposal. Referring to this in my opion more than clear rule:

As a revenge for flagging these endless repeated posts i got revenge flags over 3 topics and everything i posted got flagged. This can’t be right and should be even a possibility.

Means while the flagging function is a good one in principe, it’s as well one that can be easyly abused with agressive and bad intention.

Therefore i suggest that users that abuse such function should have removed that option from their account.

Posting this here in this topic as there are references about healty forum, how it could be and the flagging option discussed allready.

1 Like

for flag information: Flag a post for moderator attention - users - Discourse Meta

Flags haven’t been ever an issue and I don’t like how people are talking about it now.

Since the foundation is the “owner” I’d rather* insist on moving discourse to the foundation domain. Not only that but also change the logo, it states “zcash community” and this isn’t actually a “zcash community forum” but rather a “zcash foundation’s community forum”.

Let’s set things straight.

To make things more clear: if this was a community forum the foundation and the ECC would be the last persons to express opinions on how to run and manage the forum. The community could ask for guidance and suggestions but not the other way around.

3 Likes

Too much negativity, it bothers me that any topic on this forum turns into an argument, let’s respect each other, do not swear and do not write anything bad, and then everything will be fine.
If there are discontent, in particular, they prompted me the right way, not to participate in development anymore, to go to other sites and support other projects, if everyone leaves then this will be an ideal place, there will be no negative. It remains, of course, to close some more social networks and then everything will be fine. Dear users, you are participating in the topic of how the forum could have been, but what it did not become for unknown reasons (I guess, of course), and everything that happens here once again suggests that there are people who want to see everything on the one hand, and there is a second side, but this is our problem, disagree means not right.

Depends on private I guess.

To an extent I agree. How about this as a compromise. There are some sections within public sections that are ‘read only’ for newbies. but they can still create threads and add to the discussion in the ‘semi locked’ thread via that, they just not derail the ‘semi locked’ thread

A lot of newbies are not actually new, sure some are and this needs to be a welcoming space for them. but a lot (like myself when I signed up) are not new to crypto or zcash. so people being able to see open discussion but not derail it would be great.

If you create completely private spaces (like the regulars section) you can only have one or two. because imho it will stifle debate and you will just end up with people posting in the private bits so creating two forums.

Id really like to know @Shawn’s opinion on this. As far as I can tell him and @root (mia?) are the two best to know about this sort of thing. - just because they are community members that through their outstanding work to create and encourage discourse within zcash have been given extra ‘status’ (by status I mean work) and representation for the foundation.

1 Like

Like that idea a lot - public read access for groups where only trusted members can post.

2 Likes

Anyone can start their own forum! I’d encourage people unsatisfied with this place to do that!

ZF has legal responsibility for the forum, but in practice it is run by the active group of moderators. Roughly speaking, @Shawn, @daira, and I are the most active.

3 Likes

You can use the black and white logo

See Universal consideration for all uses

1 Like

If you want to blame someone for the current naming convention of the forums you can blame me. I started, registered and got the TM agreement with ECC for ZcashCommunity.com way before I started to work as a Mod for the Foundation. I ran the rocket.chat and main website for free as a service to the community for years.

Later Zooko suggested turning the forums over to the community site (ie: me, and it remaining independent of ECC or ZFND) but I didn’t think it was a good idea for the main forum, the chat, and the community website to be ran by one person, because I don’t physically have the time to do it all on my own and I didn’t want to be the sole gatekeeper of who comes and who goes.

I think the rules for moderation that we have laid out, containing a balance of ZFND, ECC, and Community members is a good balance of not letting one entity run away with the discussion.

Personally I think the request for renaming to a different URL is splitting hairs. Anyone can easily see that it is owned by the Foundation now just by looking at the FAQ so I think any potential confusion is minimal if at all.

And actually, as @Autotunafish points out, there is an exception in the TM agreement for things pertaining to Zcash. You could start a forum called “Zcash users forums .com” or “We Love Zcash .com” and shouldn’t need to get a full TM agreement as long there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the page. (But it would still be a good idea to ask about it if you decide to so :wink:)

5 Likes

If the forum forks will I be able to claim my posts, how do I get my private keys? (joking)

Lets not do this, its not that bad, a bit of help with pulling weeds & it’ll grow nicely.

3 Likes

Oh, you are correct, I was referring to Terms of Service page.

I’ll look into the image upload issue.

4 Likes

I fully agree with that, the comments on this form are still from the original few people, most of them are from ZF and ECC, and some others, in fact, the real owners or miners have not posted their views or have been deleted by the community administrator by mistake.

I think it works as intended - depending on what trust level you are it has different actions. I think it takes 5 or more trust level 1’s to hide a post.

Because you have trust status 3 (“regular”). anything you flag will get hidden and marked for moderation instantly. abusing this feature should result in you losing trust status 3. - I am not sure if you can autohide someone of the same trust level or higher. that probably takes more than one flag.

I don’t know, someone with $250,000 in zec is reading this forum and is following it, I don’t know if they post or not. (I love you t1Xcho!)

why do you think people are not posting? - maybe because other people are saying what they want to say? or maybe it is because the forum is not inclusive enough? or maybe there is another reason, I would be really interested to hear your opinion on this.

I cannot see messages getting deleted by admins by mistake, what sort of mistake are you referring to?

1 Like