The future of Zcash in the year 2020

My crystal ball parts are still on backorder, but my gut says the following is likely to take place.

First, a new crypto bull market will increase interest in Zcash at least an order of magnitude higher. Having more people involved in the discussion, as a function, will make changes more difficult. That said, it’s important that we continue to listen to how old and new users want to use Zcash and see what other projects are doing successfully. Being open, aware and introspective as a community is one of the best traits of Zcash.

Second, the number of well funded competitors is going to increase. Everyone is going to want to be the new hot crypto. If you thought the last run was extreme, just wait. Zcash may have a hard time keeping up with the massive amount of money hyping these other pump machines. We have to figure out a way to not get lost in a sea of the next cryptobubble.

Moving the, “What is Zcash” and trademarks over to the Foundation is an important step. Increasing the size of the community governance panel is also important, but we need some sort of filter to make sure that those new members aren’t actually there to harm Zcash (see: Trojan Horse). Weighted voting tiers? I’m not sure what the best way to do this would be.

Last, in terms of funding, I think we should have a community governance panel vote to extend paying developers for their work past 2020. Coins that don’t properly pay developers are at risk of a hostile takeover. By that I mean a company swoops in, paying devs while forcing them to work on for-profit company projects while stagnating the protocol.

Either way, great things are in store. Many challenges and opportunities!
:zebra::zebra::zebra::zebra::zebra:

3 Likes