The future of Zcash in the year 2020

@garethtdavies, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you. I consider you to be a leader in the Zcash community, and you have helped so many people here in this forum by lending your expertise to answer questions (including my own questions on several occasions). But would respectfully (and vehemently) oppose any proposal to extend the Founders Reward. (And I would welcome debating this in the context of a ZIP.)

If a significant portion of the community rallies around a proposal to extend the Founders Reward and ZcashCo follows, I think the best way to combat this (for those that oppose any extension of the Founders Reward) is to “Friendly Fork” chain split as soon as possible, call the new coin something that doesn’t infringe on the Zcash trademark (let’s just call it FriendlyForkCoin, or FFC, for now), and siphon off ALL of the remaining unvested original Founders Reward on the new chain to a nonprofit FFC Foundation devoted exclusively to funding the open source development of FFC.

7 Likes

In my opinion, bevor whatever further should be discussed the community should know how much funding so far has been used for whatever. Means a full disclose and balance on exactly what funds have been used for exactly what.

This should be the first step bevor the community gets involved in whatever discussion in my opinion. I think it’s essential for making an opinion on whether to extend the founders reward or not.

2 Likes

Not commenting on the proposal, but tagging @acityinohio because he can talk about the ZIP process changes that are being discussed.

1 Like

Having seen the response from @amiller on this thread Zcash foundation board of directors - #21 by amiller assuming a similar style of community governance process to last year it would probably first be sensible to put it up as a proposal. Then the formality of ZIP writing could probably be achieved soon after (assuming it was something that was voted in favour of).

@hloo acknowledged. Rather than give a less than complete reply here I intend to properly write up my thoughts as to why I think this is a good idea and hope to build community consensus around it.

4 Likes

Agreed with @garethtdavies that it makes sense to have a broad proposal and expanded advisory panel process for something like this before it’s written up officially as a ZIP (thanks for tagging @sonya).

3 Likes

There are many coins gaining their strength again now. What about Zcash? Why has not it risen these days?

I don’t really follow Zcash vs other coins price valuations. That’s a better question for Price Speculation: Price Speculation - #6501 by Lorelai

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Price Speculation

It’s almost impossible to predict the future of any coin, so i never believe such predictions

1 Like

This thread isn’t about predicting the future, its about planning the future.

Speaking of which, I’m surprised that nobody from the Electric Coin Company has commented about what thier plans are after the first halving?

3 Likes

I don’t think ECC will be answerable to zcash community as they are distancing themselves as a separate entity. Also, the zcash holdings are not shares of the ECC. You might want to check with the foundation on the plan after 2020 halvening.

Disagree.

The ECC is currently the only ones with the information on thier financial status, and the only ones that know what thier plans are after the Developers Reward ends in 2020. Coordination between the Company and Foundation is important especially if the community were to vote or discuss something like extending or creating a new development fund. If a decision has been made to simply walk away due to lack of funding then that should also be discussed.

Lack of information makes it hard for the community to vote on what they would/could support.

5 Likes

What are their plans on this matter?

I don’t know they haven’t commented, and likely won’t be commenting:

think they’d at least need to indicate whether they’d like to continue after the 1st dev fund expires. would be fairly awkward offering suggestions without knowing if ECC folks even want to continue working on ZEC, or move on to other things.

4 Likes

I imagine we’ll know more after Zcon.

ECC has huge influence but are clearly supporting Zfnd by keeping quiet at this stage. There’s a big risk anything they say would stifle debate.

2 Likes

Maybe we will hear more at Zcon1 but I doubt it. I think you are correct about not ECC wanting to influence the conversation.

So then that leaves it up to us (the community) to debate not knowing one way or the other what ECCs plans are.

2 Likes

This isn’t building up trust in my opinion. The more the community has the guess, the less transparency and openess is provided by ECC than… Just my logic conclusion and formula.

3 Likes

The question is simple, is the future bright or not?

2 Likes

Every holder will tell you positive on the coins he or she holds :slight_smile:

1 Like