Thinking of starting a new cloud mining service

Actually your list of needed components is one too many.

Also, investors do not seek to take risk. They seek to maximize profits and minimize risk.

What do you mean too many? :slight_smile:

I mean if you want to go truly mass scale, why are you using an SSD?

What else? Probably I should know the answer but I don’t. :confused:

Fair enough. Hey man you seem to have a reasonably good plan. I can execute the technology portion of it to a ludicrous degree of precision, and help us bootstrap a second stream of income in addition to mining. Let’s figure out how to do it, then do it.

If the card is not the most expensive part of your build by a factor of at least 2X then you’re doing it wrong.

Okay let me help out. Again I’m dead serious when I say I want to work with you if you can figure out funding. There’s an enormous opportunity here.

So, @cascadiacrypto is right. You want to deemphasize all other components. 6gpu:1cpu is the norm. Now, suppose you’re going to do 300 machines. Cost wise if you’re cheap that will run you 1500-1750. 300 machines remember. Each machine needs a power supply unless you go DC right to the racks but that’s not in this stage. At this stage you want to lose the SSD. You network boot the miners and treat them like a pack of cattle. This way what you get is a data center / miner that can turn on a dime. A mining beast you can aim at whatever.

Stage two, you look into the physical architecture and possibly into the GPU cards themselves. Order enough of them at once and it is easy to get them customized. Could look into getting all this onto a single flat motherboard.

Et cetera. But… The time is like now.

faddar@gmail.com

Here’s what I have to offer:

Space in the Pacific Northwest with some of the cheapest power rates (hydroelectric) on the planet.
Years of expertise deploying network architecture
Years of experience building a substantial GPU mining data center.
Negotiating skills with distributors.
I do not have access to capital for expansion though.

And I have software development experience with equihash miners and pools. I could stand up a private pool and if the farm was large enough we could skip out on pool fees/latency.

Of course this all rides on the community having enough confidence that cloud mining as a fair service (and I think that with some of the people in this thread a fair service where the community is actually paying for expertise is possible here) is in fact able to ROI. With the sudden jump of difficulty and potential of zcash price falling it seems like a gamble right now. I wonder if others think it is worth taking? I suppose that varies from day to day depending on how the landscape looks.

I certainly would like to help with this if a hard enough brainstorm results in a fair road map for everyone. As of right now I’m inclined to think we could make this work if we could utilize @cascadiacrypto space and scale very large very quick with community funding.

2 Likes

If you can make multipool with eth/zcash/zclasic/ …to switch to profitability … with special plugins for the miners to have different mining software installed maybe you’ll get a big hit.

At TRESORIO Mining, we have a dedicated server offer with remote control via ScreenConnect.
Our prices are around 350€ per rig (6 RX480s) per month.

It’s indeed a really good idea but there is some difficulties :

1. It’s very hard to obtain a full stability on a 6-GPUs mining rig since problems can occur everywhere (ground loops, faulty card, faulty riser, faulty PSU, etc), especially if you put 100 rigs in the same room.
    One day everything is fine and the day after, you have bugs everywhere. In addition, problems are often hard to identify.
    You also have to be able to remote control the power plug. On many cases, push the power button is the best answer to a big crash.

2. If you propose a dedicated server offer, people compare this to the price of the hardware and electricity since everybody thinks that you just set up the rig and take holidays.
    It’s in fact harder to maintain a good dedicated server offer than a contract. When you offer contracts, you can mutualize the risk. All you need to have is a safety margin in case of troubles.
    If everything works, you’re margin will increase your revenues and if there is a problem you can work on it later.

With a dedicated server offer, each time you have a bug you’ll have to repair it in a short period of time since your client will notice it immediately.

A good alternative is to offer a contract that reflect the rent of a GPU or a full rig and adapt the hashrate with miners improvements.

We are doing both but even if cloud mining is a great way for the vast majority, it’s very hard to gain trust in this ocean of scams.

We are working on a prepared rig with different mining software pre-installed, an “auto-mining” software to have the best ROI, nicehash (because they are doing a very good job in this area) and SIA for the HD rental.

In any case, we are fully opened to work with the community to create the best mining experience :slight_smile:

Thank all of you guys for opinions! I will contact you asap @voxelot @PachaKamaq @faddat @cascadiacrypto !
I have much more thing in my head right now than when starting this thread and I think we can do something great :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the cloud mining as a service is a dead-end business model. Why would a client pay a multiple (2x-10x) of the cost of mining when it is basically simple to do.

Realistically, installing a GPU in a PC and loading drivers, then downloading and copying a folder with maybe a dozen files, modifying the BAT file and rebooting. Mining accomplished.
The expertise needed is available on Youtube, all it costs is your time.

Something that CascadiaCrypto could offer without much investment is nothing more than a few square feet of shelf space, an Ethernet port and cheap electricity so that our miners can continue to run once the mining farms in China drive down the profitability to approach the cost of electricity, which has happened with all the other coins not minted in 2016.

I disagree with that. ROI-based analysis is absolutely irrelevant when you are convinced that cryptocurrencies and blockchains in general are the only hope in an very very wrong world.

Regular people just don’t take the time anymore. A return of experience could be useful to illustrate my thoughts.
I am running a local mining farm and my first clients was some of my friends, their friends, then friends of their friends, then come the website and the cloud mining business.

These people never heard about blockchain, ethereum, or even bitcoin. They saw our first rig, didn’t understand the excitement and start to ask question. After long explanation on the way the actual system works (because it’s really not obvious for many people), on the bitcoin, blockchains, ethereum, DAOs, they finally got it and ask us instantly to set up et manage rigs for us. At this time I didn’t even know the word “cloud mining” exists.
They told me that they doesn’t care if at the end they don’t get back their investment because their 1000€ contract is a bet. During one year, they are motivated to discover everything about blockchains, they are amazed to see their payments and discover a powerful technology from the inside is very rewarding. They even started playing poker in Ethers with each other.

Long story short, for many people, create a Kraken account is not obvious, use a Mac is hard and it’s logical. Now, they just don’t want to bother so cloud mining is their only entry gate.

Honestly, we began this cloud mining business because we knew we could do it fairly and we had the opportunity to share our very low cost of infrastructure and pretty good cost of electricity. Yes at the end we will be the happy owner of a pretty amount of obsolete GPUs and we are taking a 20% cut.
Our clients are happy, they call us on regular basis to get informations or advises and thanks to us they know Zcash exists.

How can you even calculate an ROI anyway ? It’s basically making the assumption that nothing will change and pray for it.
The technology could evolve, the price could evolve, the global hashrate could evolve, so as the hardware, the law, …

This is a revolution, don’t be so selfish nor exclusive

1 Like

Why do you think people should not invest in cloud mining? cloud mining can help to earn coins without buying, so I think it is really beneficial.

I just found and used a calculator on the web and it was helpful. It is Domain Details Page, hope it helps for other people who realy want to invest.