@_tm3k's announcement for the MGRC election

@zooko has posted questions in the main thread for candidates to answer. I will add them to my application to keep all my stuff in one place, and then post the link to the main thread. I have also preemptively answered questions towards the end that I would’ve liked to be asked.

• “What are the responsibilities and the time commitment of the role?”
    I think all seats should be filled by someone able to make a full-time commitment to ensure work gets done in a timely matter. There could be a small amount of work, or a huge amount of work. We won’t know until the committee is formed. It could be compared to the amount of work needed previously for grants, but I think the formation of the MGRC will attract more grant applications than previously experienced, especially as privacy focused cryptos gain more mainstream traction.
    Some of the responsibilities include timely review of grant applications, healthy debate and communication with other members on the pro’s and con’s of each grant, how the application can be improved and communicating this to the grantee (ex: reject intial proposal, fund revised proposal).
    Finally, an ultimate decision on the grant. All members should be able to communicate on voice chat before a final decision is decided.
    The first committee will set trends and traditions that will likely be followed by future members.

• “What is the compensation going to be?”
    My belief is that every seat should be full time, this is why I think the members should be compensated. I think compensation should be on the low end of 30k USD, and on the high end 70K USD. It should partly be based on the cost of living where they currently live, and partly on their contributions.
    It’s important to not be overpaid and leave most of the money for grants.
    We need people who do it for the love of Zcash and not for the money.
    I think before anyone even thinks about getting paid, a lot of work needs to be done setting up the basic structure of the MGRC.
    I have enough flexibility in my personal life to make being a full-time MGRC member a priority. Frankly, this is possible because I bought bitcoin early and timed my 2017 exit well enough that I have years of funds saved up.
    I am willing to take on this responsibility without knowing what the compensation would be.

• “Five simultaneous one-year terms?”
    ZIP 1014 states the MGRC seats are up for re-election every year. This could create a problem because just as things start to roll smoothly, a (potentially) whole new team has to step in and take over the previous teams responsibilities, without necessarily sharing the same vision, method of execution, or communication style. I think 2 of 5, or 3 of 5 should be up for re-election each year. And this should be determined by how much they have contributed and how well they have performed. Who is to decide this? I think the ECC/ZF should vote on it, and remove the low hanging fruit.

• “Who else will they be serving alongside?”
    It’s important the panel is diverse and not one dimensional, with people from different backgrounds and skill-sets. If there aren’t enough people applying for this position by the deadline, I think it should be extended further to allow more people to apply. Its better to delay and get good candidates than rush it and risk electing subpar candidates.

• “What sort of people should we try to attract to serve on MGRC? / “What sorts of backgrounds and skillsets do you think are most important to have on the MGRC?”
    I think it is important to attract people who have a good fundamental understanding of cryptocurrencies. People who have no experience in the space and just see this as an opportunity to get paid should be avoided. They need heart too. If they have previous experience in managing large amounts of money, delegating tasks to others, skill in communication and business management, then I would consider them a good candidate.

• In real life my professional experience includes being an active, full time investor and trader since 2014, in both real estate, crypto-currencies, and stocks. I manage my own money. I have managed commercial real estate for 3 years. Currently I own a small company that specializes in real estate marketing, utilizing DLSR’s, drones, and 3D cameras. I am licensed by the FAA as a commercial drone operator. I am my own salesperson, accountant, ground crew, and editor.

• I am relatively easy to get along with, I would much rather settle a funding/governance dispute in a mature way with well thought out solutions vs silly arguments and name calling. My timezone is US Central, but I can be available for voice(discord) or text communication with the committee any time of the day Monday through Friday, and Saturday/Sunday after 6PM. I am willing to prioritize being a member of the MGRC over my personal business.

• After the first MGRC election, I think it would be a good idea to allow more people to become members of the Community Advisory Panel. There are 61 (if i counted right) members currently, and a few of them are questionably inactive. Zcash Community Advisory Panel - zcash foundation
    I would like to see 99 people on the panel. I choose this odd number to keep votes from being 50/50. Only people who truly desire to be on the panel should be added, and we shouldn’t put more people on it just for the sake of hitting 99 members.

• If you ARE on the community advisory panel and also running for a seat on the MGRC I think its important that there is a way to ensure they don’t vote for themselves, or abstain from voting at all.

• It is important not to exhaust all funds as the MGRC receives them. A ‘savings account’ needs to be created to ensure there are funds for a large unforeseen project. Something like 28% should be saved for the future. As stated in my proposal, I would be very conservative at first because the price of Zcash at $50 is silly cheap in my opinion. The price has been pushed down by inflation, after the first halving the inflation will be cut in half and this issue will be partly solved.

Thank you for reading this post to the end, It means a lot to me that you want to know more about my opinions.

7 Likes