Wallet unlock failed - help

I was using my account without any problems and making transfers. But it started not accepting my password that I am sure of. I made a transaction 5 minutes ago, I can’t do it now. Half please…

Error
Could not unlock the wallet with the password.

Which Zcash wallet are you using?

Zecwallet Lite v1.6.3

This error was in 1.4 when I first got it. I updated it and the problem persists…

1 Like

Have you tried replacing the wallet dat file with a backup and unlocking it?

I accidentally changed my backup file with the updated file. I only have a wallet.dat file, an error occurred in the password. problem persists on a different client…I can see my account but I can’t transfer.

CC @adityapk00

It looks like your wallet data files are either messed up or corrupted or you have accidentally placed the wrong data files.

I think you’ll have to restore from seed. When you restore from seed, it will start unlocked, and then you can set a new password .

1 Like

Zecwallet lite is on and i was using it… I had never turned it off and suddenly it started throwing errors. The error it gives is “Failed to unlock wallet with password.” My data file was correct. I have secret keys but I lost the seed backup…

The desktop version supports importing private keys

I tried it and found that my keys belong to a different wallet. I can’t trade from my wallet that still has a balance. Is it possible to repair the data file?

I remember there being a -salvagewallet option but idk if it would work since the wallet files are ‘locked’

While actively using Zec wallet and sending/receiving transfers, I saw that the last 1-2 transfers were not happening. I tried again and again, I got a successful notification, but the balance did not decrease and no tx appeared. I turned it off and on again, but this time the password error started. My password is absolutely correct. I had already made transfers before the error. There is no other backup of my wallet.dat file. I can’t find my keys.

Look please;

debug.log
2021-06-27T02:16:54.591739200+03:00 ERROR::Error fetching latest price: grpc-status: Unimplemented, grpc-message: “unknown method GetCurrentZECPrice for service cash.z.wallet.sdk.rpc.CompactTxStreamer”

I did a comparison and saw that debug.log gave different errors

2021-06-27T02:16:54.591739200+03:00 ERROR::Error fetching latest price: grpc-status: Unimplemented, grpc-message: “unknown method GetCurrentZECPrice for service cash.z.wallet.sdk.rpc.CompactTxStreamer”

The operating system I use is Windows and the application is Zecwallet Lite

I believe that method requires a zcashd full node (or regular ol zecwallet) and then manually launching zcashd from CMD as daemon with that flag. It should make use of the same wallet files zecwallet lite but like I said idk, no keys and no seed certainly isn’t an ideal situation

I got such a stupid error. I’ve only had this problem with the zec wallet and I’ve seen others experience it too. There has to be a solution…I guess there’s nothing I can do

Idk, like I said since the wallet is encrypted then the salvagewallet method probably won’t work because its gibberish, were it not then perhaps yes. The keys and seed are for restoring from scratch and only having the wallet file would at least restore some if not all of the value but without at least one of those methods then there isn’t really any other way I know of. And thats for any custodial wallet, not just zecwallet. You could at least try salvagewallet but, again, idk.

This method is not part of the standard lightwalletd interface. It seems that you are now connecting to a different server or zecwallet backend has been changed and requires you to upgrade your client.

1 Like

1.7 was only released yesterday but its definitely worth a shot. Otherwise 1.6.3 was the current. Besides through the UI, in what file do you designate the server?

1.6.3 is the version that started using this method. I don’t know if you can choose the backend but you can see what server it uses. @nankuse8, you could also try downgrading your client.

If you know the secret-key, you are safe. In the worst case, you will need to reimport.