YWallet & Warp Sync

Bummer… thanks for your contributions!

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly!

2 Likes

I have been using Ywallet (and Zwallet before that) as my primary wallet for some time now and have been a vocal advocate of that wallet and of the work @hanh has been doing in general in the Zcash community.

He is exactly what we need, an extremely competent developer who isn’t working for an exisiting Zcash org, we need more of this!

I am in favor of retrospectively funding activities, especially in this case as it is very clear that valuable work has been delivered.

I am strongly in favor of this grant, I do think the cost is a little high and hope that there can be some negotiation with the ZCG team, either in cost or in scope.

Good luck!

14 Likes

Is the community awaking to the possibility of directly funding ycash development. I’ve suggested this as a redundancy/ failsafe for about a year plus now…

I think the community is more in favor of funding Zcash development.

6 Likes

And yet, here we are. Where development occurring downstream in a more flexible environment is significantly benefiting zcash. This shouldn’t be a difficult decision but for the chain tribalism that is beyond passé at this point.

This was not downstream development though, it has been developed for both Zcash and Ycash, claiming that this is Ycash tech making it’s way back to Zcash is disingenuous.

2 Likes

thank you for the correction. i looked into the history, and you are correct, and i was uneducated.

2 Likes

Today I sent shielded ZEC with Ywallet while the wallet was syncing. Incredible. I didn’t know a Zcash wallet could do that.

5 Likes

@hanh it appears the work will be done in a couple months. Do you have any idea how long it would take for other wallets, in an ideal case of collaboration, to integrate warp sync for Sapling payments? And by extension, when most wallets in the ecosystem could be using warp sync to avoid the pains that have been plaguing us the last few months? It seems to me that upon completion of this grant, Ywallet will nonetheless be the only wallet guaranteed to be warp syncing. It would be highly beneficial to get some additional wallet devs to commit to making use of the work you would perform here and even preemptively put in warp sync integration grants so we can try to get more wallets up to speed on roughly the same timeline.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I’m glad you noticed. Giving this user experience is a non-trivial part of the design/implementation.

5 Likes

Has every issue in the above Security Review been addressed? My only concern is ECC’s reluctance to put this wallet on their site, makes me think some feel its not ready. Other than this concern I approve :slight_smile:

There was only 1 issue and it was addressed.

2 Likes

It would be nice to prioritize any security audit here as, informally, ywallet is the only wallet currently recommended by the community (besides zcashd of course). Anecdotally I have moved more ZEC than is probably wise through it and haven’t ever lost any funds :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Which wallet app should be audited first?

• Which wallet app should be audited first?
  • Nighthawk Wallet
  • Ywallet
  • Zecwallet Lite
  • Zingo (in development)
  • Zuuli (in development)

0 voters

An informal poll to gauge what people here think. :wink:
cc @earthrise

1 Like

In an ideal case, it shouldn’t take more than a few days/weeks. However, I cannot speak for the wallet owners and there are many factors that can affect the outcome. One of each being people’s availability and how the wallet currently integrates with librustzcash.

1 Like

Ywallet is great

4 Likes

YWallet is now the featured wallet on the ECC website.

Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen!

25 Likes

Congrats hanh, hard work wins the day :owl:

7 Likes

At long last, where it deserves to be!

3 Likes