About dev fees and how to remove them

And i think that by selling to big whales he will do more.
From profit standpoint it is ‘the right thing to do’ for him.

Moderators are taking the stance of not censoring legally copied software and to leave it up to the users to decide. It is currently not addressed in our guidelines so this thread is not technically a violation. If you think the guidelines should be updated to include not allowing pirated software, please DM @moderators to discuss further or create a topic in #meta for public discussion.

Otherwise, there are a few inappropriate comments in this thread. For those who posted those comments this is your warning to keep it civil or risk being suspended from the forum.

Please, don’t leave. Such greedy people like minerzec should not break successful business for hundreds of other people…

2 Likes

Actually, to be honest, Claymore has done something similar: he stopped providing Linux version when a lot of people wanted it and supported it via fee. In fact having Windows version and ready to run Linux version 1.1, it is quite easy to build both. I see no reason to cut Linux, but he had own thoughts and the right to decide. Anyway, one of explanations in both cases may be “it is not about money”… In addition, it would be some choice for Linux and Windows now (2 fast miners for both platforms), now we have just one for Windows only.

I did not like the idea of topping hash rates, it led only to high power usage and less income. I lost hopes to explain that to those who demand for more hashes not thinking that it lowers profit in the end. But if I can’t change it, at least I want to have a choice, now I don’t.

The only reason for topping hasrates was not to let CPU botnets conquer the net. Everything else is just a side effect.

And we still have 0.6.0 version stalking around internet which can compete with Claymores’ soft on Linux, and by using it you’ll still support Optiminer, maybe when he’ll calm down and see how many people around still with him, he’ll change his mind and continue providing you with updates.

For now, use 0.6.0, I have both linux and win versions on my storage, PM if you can’t find it anywhere, actually, I don’t care about his redistribution prohibition, but I adopt it, so won’t post links here.

1 Like

I did not see yet a lot of Zcash botnets. Anyway, to some degree I can get that this is “the only reason”. And in no case it is to "squeeze more ZECs from our cards’ as some people wrote, since being public, these miners are used by everyone, and total hashrates grow with no profit, but power bills grow as well, so even less profit.

Oh, there is another reason to increase hashrates: when you create the best miner, you want to increase your dev fee, you need more people use it, so you want to attract them with max rate possible. In this case no profit increase to miners (still the same share, same ZECs), higher power bills. But miner developer has more people who uses his miner, so his fee share increases. And only miner developers win in this case regarding to profits.

I don’t talk about features, stability, overall usability and quality. Yes, miner developers have high skills and deserve the fee they ask. But it does not change the reality that increased hashrate only helps them, and not miners or somebody else. I wish we had slow miners and high price for ZEC instead.

I have both 0.6.0 Optiminer versions. Where I can run Windows, I use Claymore’s miner. Where I need Linux, I use Optiminer. It is buggy, no questions, it segfaults quite often with no reason and I had to run two instances on one machine instead of a single one that crashed instantly. But still it is the fastest public Linux miner to the moment. And after I wrote tools to expose miner stats that can be read by Claymore’s utility (read stats from Optiminer, read temps/fans from the system and expose them via JSON RPC in Claymore’s format) I was quite happy.

Mining is about money. People will always be trying to take advantage over competitors to get a bigger piece of the pie. If it is not asics, then it will be farms, near zero power costs, zcash devs, or miner devs, or whatever. Forget about equal opportunity: it is unreal. Home miners are getting the leftovers.

That’s true and no one can argue this fact, they need to have higher rates to attract newcomers to their product. Another situation with hardware vendor support, I barely bet Claymore gets paid by AMD for not including Nvidia support to his product, stick-to-hardware miner model boosts sales dramatically and he can earn more receiving money from hardware vendor rather than from not so fast CUDA speeds.
And let’s be fair, 80% of Win users (most of home miners) won’t switch to Linux just for a bit higher speed (as I remember, it was a significant gap in speed between Optiminers’ product and Claymores’ for a day or two)

And that’s true, it’s all about the money. But from both sides, you want bigger piece of pie? Then take advantage, scale your mining power. Most of that large-scale mining facilities involve investors, who actually take the biggets piece of pie, that investors pay the biggest piece of their piece to their creditors and so on, don’t think that mining-farms owners swim in money like Scrooge McDuck from that Disney cartoon :joy:

Nowadays mining is a good opportunity for 3rd world countries, for example, one my good friend from Ukraine receives second salary every month just running 3x 470’s , spending ~25% of income on electricity bills, so it depends on from what side to look at the situation.

1 Like

[quote=“palgin, post:92, topic:9600”]
Another situation with hardware vendor support, I barely bet Claymore gets paid by AMD for not including Nvidia support to his product,[/quote]
Claymore explicitly stated once that he had an agreement do not support Nvidia till some date (by ETH Dual Miner).

Anyway, thank you for polite discussion (unlike some others I am not going to even answer). Those talk about home win users vs big mines, but do not realise that unlike home users selling every day crypto for nothing, big names do not dump all at once as soon as mined. I remember prices for DCR and SIA when Claymore made dual miners. Initial pump immediately followed by a real dump, and since then those coin cost nothing - not because everyone mined, but because everyone dumped. People even unable to do some math and honestly think that more hash power means more profit (for day or two - yes if you are the first who installed faster miner, then no). That’s why I prefer to have miners that require some effort and knowledge to run them, but then you value every satoshi you get. This way is open for all, but requires some home work. And those talking about “moaning” are just those lazy people who wants to buy/download/run/dump. As they write there and here, “need for speed” for them prevails over “need to learn” and “need to think” :slight_smile: - since it’s easier.

Thank you too, it’s a real pleasure to discuss something with a person with a clear, argumented point of view :+1:

Yes Osnwt I agree with your last statement,hobby miners which is most home miners mine there coins and dump the moment they have a couple of dollars for what ever price they can get there and then,this can have a bad effect on prices but on other hand a coin like zcash needs liquidity in the market if its going to succeed and be adopted world wide,I have a nano s hardware wallet and since week 2 all my coins get stored there waiting for a big payday (I hope) in an ideal world we would all have access to fast mining software but that’s not the case so while the race is on we must compete to keep our earnings the same,there will come a point when cards are at there max,heat will be a problem and adding more cards will be only way to compete it’s the nature of this beast,Human nature dictates we always want more than we have and with earnings possibles with crypto it’s a case of he who dares wins! Anyway you are intitled to your opinion and I respect that so my post above is withdrawn :grinning: Have a good day.

Unless anyone starts personal attacks with no arguments (or even with them), I am always ok to discuss something. We all have own opinion and we all should respect party’s one even if we don’t agree. That’s the point I am trying to stick.

When I stand against uncontrolled hash rate increase, I do not talk about human nature. I am more a tech guy, so like facts. I don’t get when someone says “Give me more hashes and I will have more profit”, or “You’re stupid, you want to stop progress, you don’t understand, we need for speed”, etc. It’s emotions and/or a lack of knowledge. I try to explain why I think it’s wrong, and I am ok to listen to any argumented answer. It doesn’t mean I agree, but I understand the opponent’s point of view.

From tech point of view rate increase does NOT increase profits but lowers them. That’s the only thing I tried to deliver to those who says “more hashes, more money”. Also easy use lowers the entry cost to mining, and that also decreases profits for those who paid some efforts tuning their rigs. That is that I don’t like in miner development, not tech solutions or level of developers. I realise and don’t argue that there is no way to stop this race. Still, it does not change facts that it is bad, not good for profits.

1 Like

i’ve registred at this forum only after finding out that optiminer suddenly stopped releasing of his public miner.
I have just a couple of rx 480 running.
And as it was interesting to me how it all works.
It’s a pleasure to run optiminer with the existing version and dev fee. As I know that’s a kind of a “subscription” for the tool that helps get more.
Such a gentle manner of Optiminer to show the hashrate you receive was way more acceptable than Claymore’s for example.
At mining early stages it was ok to contribute and help to develop software and mining solutions.
Nowadays as very few people contribute (due to lack of knowledge or just cause of being lazy) different fees became a way to contribute.
It’s mostly because of us. Our crowd became more greedy and more stupid.
It’s just because of us.
So Optiminer position is clear and reasonable.

PS I wonder can somebody of that bypassers make for example silentarmy miner better?
I have huge doubts about that.

@osnwt , this was true for Bitcoin, and it’s still true for every coin existent in the world. Bitcoin even had an advantage that ASIC chip developement wasn’t as fast as it’s happening now with GPU speeds spiking every week or two. And the situation is following now: maintenance costs increase with every new miner out, but daily income remains the same or even lower because of that mine-n-dump guys.

It’s sad, and we can do absolutely nothing with this situation, but I still believe (or maybe hope) that ones who keep Zcash and not sell it at the moment will gain much more after coin adoption.

Yes but if you look at bitcoin forum I don’t know if it was you who posted a very similar argument yesterday on Claymore thread (think it was) after Claymore revealed he has more speed for us Claymore then responded that if we were not happy he would stop developing now,that would not be good for us windows miners and chances are we would be left behind with all profits going to private miners who can afford closed source software,we are lucky to have a developer who is very talented and willing to work with us and not sell out to the Chinese farms this was why my comments were negative towards you,I am not saying your points have no merit just that what u wish for is not possible!

YES, absolutely. Both tried to be honest, since Claymore also explicitly shows when devfee starts and stops. But Optiminer’s way looks much better also from PPLNS pool side.

Again, absolutely agreed. Guys making first more or less usable GPU miner (zogminer) opened their BTC wallets for donations while some of them even had no money to buy PSU for development. At some time they received donation around 0.5 BTC or so that spent to hardware. Compare to devfee in this thread (few thousand USD per day). I don’t tell that it is wrong, but it does not motivate open source developers at all. They work for fun, but one day they have to make a choice and usually they have to work for money, not for fun and community, just to pay bills.

I know what’s that, I worked for some open source / open hardware community project around 3 years nightly, having also a family and a main job. In the end the project was closed due to different reasons, and one of them was inability to sustain the development paying for hardware design and prototype making (software development was free in spare time as I said). It was not “greedy”, it did not ask for donations and it did not sell incomplete hardware just to follow with newer version as many similar hobby projects do, but it is closed now.

[quote=“palgin, post:98, topic:9600”]
And the situation is following now: maintenance costs increase with every new miner out, but daily income remains the same or even lower because of that mine-n-dump guys.

It’s sad, and we can do absolutely nothing with this situation[/quote]
Yes, agreed as well. I was unable to said better.

I think no, it was not me this time. I read that statement and I read responses, and tempted to write either but stopped myself since there was no chance that in a thread full of people using the miner there are at least 10 who will agree. Personal attacks there to me or adaseb saying the same are not rare, so no reason to argue.

Actually, I am ok to have better miner when we see steep rise in difficulty due to those Chinese farms with private miners. But till now I see rises exactly when new Claymore/Optiminer versions pumped hash rate by 20-30%. So I don’t tell that faster miner is an absolute evil. I only tell that all should be in time, when it is really necessary. Until then a current hash rate was quite fine, and profits were not less.

Does anyone know what Optiminer’s license was before they closed source?

As far as I know there was no license file in repo.

Here’s a copy of the license from one of the builds:

You are allowed to run this program on any number of machines.

Modification or disassembling of the program is disallowed.
Distribution to 3rd parties is not permitted.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

This software contains following open source parts:
- Sha256
  Copyright (c) 2014 The Bitcoin Core developers
  Distributed under the MIT software license, see the accompanying
  file COPYING or http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php.

- TCLAP
  Copyright (c) 2003 Michael E. Smoot

- easylogging++
  Copyright (c) 2015 muflihun.com
  Distributed under the MIT software license, see the accompanying
  file COPYING or http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php.