Announcing Ycash, The First "Friendly Fork" of the Zcash Blockchain

Are there going to be any custodial wallets for android/iphone allowing the export of private keys and using both Z and T addresses? (Y and S, if you will).

1 Like

At launch, the answer is no.

Question: Are there any Zcash wallets that fit your description? Perhaps Shielded Guarda?

I like the idea of an ASIC-unfriendly coin with ZCash’s privacy features. But the fact that only closed source miners are available is disappointing. It leaves the ecosystem at the mercy of a few mysterious developers, and requires a user to run code they can’t audit. So it would be great if there were an open source miner for Ycash. Are there any efforts in that direction, for example porting djezo’s CUDA miner to (192,7)?

2 Likes

I agree that a highly performant open source miner for Equihash(192,7) would be fantastic. With that said, our priority is to fund the work to change the Proof of Work algorithm (to ProgPOW or RandomX) rather than fund development of an open source Equihash(192,7) miner.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying your priorities. Although I don’t think it would be all that much work to tweak and test an existing open source Equihash solver, prioritizing a better overall PoW is certainly understandable.

But I sure hope the eventual PoW has a good open source reference implementation. I can’t see the project retaining much credibility if it depends on magic binaries that may or may not be malicious.

3 Likes

Something worth noting here is that until mining on mainnet starts and the Ycash Foundation starts receiving a portion of block rewards, @hloo is bankrolling everything personally. (Correct me if I’m wrong there, Howard.) I think it makes sense to ruthlessly prioritize, get the project up and running, and then allocate capital toward everything else once there’s capital to allocate.

2 Likes

Hey everyone! Here’s an FAQ/Guide that condenses the information should any of your friends need to know what’s happening, and quick!

Feel free to let me know if you find any issues with it, or if anything needs amendments!

Cheers :smiley:

1 Like

Can we please change the ycash logo? That hand-sign is cringe.

Sooooo we cant mine yet until the fork happens right? Just trying to get my bat files prepared and whatnot. Thanks!

Yup, thats right - mainnet mining wont work until the fork block (ETA 22:52 - Chile Time)

Edit: PM me if you get stuck, I’ve been doing this for a while now :wink:

2 Likes

Ty Chile! Always here to save the day! :slight_smile:

Rigs left ? Or just a single gpu operation ?

Me? I still have my test rig for playing with things, only three cards in it but its enough to keep me entertained.

Power is expensive here so its strictly a hobby thing.

3 Likes

I suggest a Coin-Holder’s Vote to pick a new logo.

4 Likes

I actually like the logo. It’s a Y in ASL and/or could be the Hawaiian sign for hang loose. Symbolic of hanging loose while you mine your fortune. I think it’ll catch on.

4 Likes

I also like the logo. It’s friendly and stands out from the usual “abstract geometrical shape that means nothing” default of most cybercoin projects. (Note: I have not rigorously surveyed cybercoin project logos, that’s just my impression.)

4 Likes

Hey, cowabunga! 20cha

Should the message of what could be a multi-million $ asset really be “hanging loose” ? If the logo isn’t serious, why should the project be taken seriously?

2 Likes

if you spent 5 minutes on social media where investors are, you would see how hard this is about to get dumped. It will hold a 10th of the value of ZEC on a good day.

I don’t think investors invest in companies based on how cool or uncool their logos are…Personally, I’m deciding whether or not to support this fork by the responses and amount of work that @hloo is putting in instead of his skill with Photoshop. The logo is pretty cool (or uncool depending on who’s judging) but probably the last thing I’m even considering when deciding whether or not to follow this fork.

4 Likes