Anyone still GPU mining ZCash?

I’m on BTG now…lol…

pool.gold is BS. They burned me on a payout. I am on btgpool.pro now. ZCash spoiled me as the network moves quickly…BTG is slow AF :frowning:

@DanielG - isn’t Bitmain coming out with an ETH asic?

Bitmain has a eth ASIC, but it does not seem to be causing any issues yet. It was only about 200 mh, eth is very memory dependant, while equihash is more core. Soon they will come out with a 40k sols version and destroy gpus without a fork. So the eth ASIC is super low performance by comparing to z9 mini and the next equihash monster

1 Like

I would wait until they release a better version of I were you, it probably won’t take long. I believe the ETH ASIC is only about twice as beneficial as GPU, while for some of the other algos it’s many times greater. The way things are going, it will be ASIC or POS eventually for most, if not all, coins. I did have a small ASIC farm that did really well last year. Made ROI rather quickly, and then I sold them for 1.6x what I paid for them. I probably would have 2-3 folded my ROI before doing the same thing had I been in the first batch. Since then, bitmain has really expanded their production, or it at least appears that way. I doubt we will see times like last summer again for ASIC mining, but you can still make a lot with the early ASICs.

Edit: or upgraded versions.

1 Like

I won’t be buying any new nvidia cards on release. FPGA is the new ASICS. They are going to come around and crush any alt coin. When it gets easier to reprogram to mine different algos they will eliminate gpu mining. It will be like when people switched from cpu to gpu. GPU will be useless within 1 year or so.

I think you’re right…the wildcard is the price of those things. If they are cost effective then they will get traction.

On a side note, I’ve been mining BTG for the past three days and I already miss ZCash mining…sniff sniff :frowning: Blocks take forever to confirm and payouts do too :confused:

1 Like

Now mining BitcoinZ :joy:
Hoping for just 1 pump and dump on that 1.
Over on Shitcoins and hoping 1 will pump.

Still on ZEC …

2 Likes

Never left ZEC. FWIW, @phakov, I’ve only seen an averaged 10-15% reduction in daily production up to this point. I feel as though you left a bit prematurely. Anyways, it’s not as if your decision is irreversible.

1 Like

that’s something to consider - I can always make a change quickly…i might go back…

Being a “greedy and not loyal gpu miner” I don’t know what am I doing apparently, but will stay on ZEC for a while. Just want to see how bad it can go.

3 Likes

I’m greedy too…it just comes to a point where power costs too much and the difficulty goes too high.

Thanks for this thread! Unlike the three thousand post megathread, I was able to read all the posts on this thread.

About profitability, someone sent me this PDF the other day:

158415Distributed_Ledger_Technology__DLT_.pdf (230.0 KB)

2 Likes

P.S. I really hope we can work out a way to make mining profitable for people like you all…

5 Likes

Switched to ETC. I’m getting around 31 mhs per GTX1080… All of mined ZEC are stored on ledger and waiting for better days. I’ll buy more ZEC after I sell ETC.

1 Like

Thanks Zooko, I hope so too.

1 Like

Small 1.5Kh/s GPUs rig here, mined ZEC four months, now switched to x16r (RVN for the moment).

1 Like

Discovered the crypto scene in October of 2017 and built this beast. Mined zcash on flypool until yesterday. Currently mining Lyra2REv2 on nicehash. Strongly considering getting a z9 mini to keep up with this arms race but a little hesitant because of the new generation gpu’s coming out sometime this year.

1 Like

I admire the “loyalty” reason for sticking with a coin, but its rather pointless. They don’t care about us and our small GPU rigs. Yes, we add stability and distribution to their coin but we don’t get rewarded for it in any way. I run a wallet/node on my rig but I could just as easily mine to an online wallet.
I now have only 1 rig mining zec at 1.4kh, thats it, the rest are on NH on whatever algo whattomine says is most profitable. My goal is regular income, not holding and praying for spike. I cpu mine monero for kicks and have 2 pc’s on ZEN so I can clear out my hard wallet of it (somehow had some incoming zen i didnt know i had). Roll with the tides.

3 Likes

Just to give some perspective vs the z9 mini

13x 1080ti equals 10k sols
Cost about $11,000 us
Profit per day is $7 US so an ROI of 1500 days if the cards last that long

Z9 mini of $1000 and $7 per day ROI or 150 days

GPU cannot compete. This assumes no price increase in the coin and no increase in difficulty.
Still it is clear the gpu will die on zcash without protection from ASIC and FPGA. Of course I don’t think there is any protection from FPGA except cost to produce.

1 Like

I don’t expect that the ROI for a Z9 to be so short. The difficulty will be 65+ million (I’m betting 90) come September. Given that, the ROI is more like 11 months when you deduct power costs. However, once ASICs come in, and if all ZCash does is continue to wring their hands about it, that will be that unless folks buy them and just keep rolling.

I agree entirely.

2 Likes