Application for the Major Grants Review Committee

Hi @zancas , thanks for the questions.

I took a bit of time to think about your points, and I agree 100% that it makes sense for individuals to commit full time work to the MGRC (which I advocate for in my post) but I’m afraid the MGRC positions will not be able to offer the amount of compensation and benefits like 401k, retirement, heath care that I personally would need to leave my day-job.

As to your question about my day job, I’m afraid that it is nothing nearly as exciting as the CIA/NSA/ or anything remotely related to cryptocurrency. I’m not willing to post publicly what I do precisely but I will say that it has to do with creative aspects at a fortune 500 company.

As far as my top priorities go:

1. Better education for end users that are using Zcash today. I’m quite disappointed that the ECC is unwilling or unable to put out quality material about how to use Zcash privately. As long as T-addresses are part of the Zcash ecosystem then end user needs to know how to leverage Z-addresses to maximum effect to avoid privacy leaks. (like this one)
    1. Hire a team to get the fully functioning zECC mobile wallet onto the iOS and Play stores, ASAP. And keep that team on long term contract to bugfix/troubleshoot/update in collaboration with the ECC internal wallet team.
    1. Communicate with ZFND and ECC to if/where see where outside teams can help them with their core workflow in Zebrad or Zcashd. Where are the outside-app interfaces gaps (SDKs, APIs) and how hard are they to get into core release packages?

I agree with your points about part timers having a more central interest in what keep the lights on and food on the table, however I do not think having a day job and also working part time on other projects like the MGRC are mutually exclusive.

7 Likes