BBT this weekend covering Zcash Mining Rig 7x MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr OC

but what if one of the psu’s would stop working? would that be dangerous for the hardware in the rig?

what do you think about the ax1500i? i know it’s an expensive one, but it should be very solid

one wont stop working unless it dies… and if one dies:

1. if the primary dies, the secondary would shut off right at the same time… thats why you use a proper link cable

2. if the secondary dies 4 GPUs and their risers turn off … so no damage

its not a big deal if you do it properly.

If you jump the secondary using the paperclip method like BBT did before - that is stupid and dangerous… putting your hardware at risk.

dont jump the secondary without linking it to the primary

1 Like

i have read that antec has their own oc link for mounting 2 psu’s together.
i have looked into it (although i’m not an expert at all!) , and over here, Antec High Current Pro Platinum 850W Power Supply Review - PC Perspective it said:

“However, we did find that in the unlikely event that the “slave” PSU doesn’t power up (might be turned off , or unplugged, etc.) or if the “slave” PSU shuts down for some reason (overload, over temp, etc.) the “master” PSU continues operating, leaving the system with only one PSU instead of two. For example, if you configured a system to have the “master” PSU connected to the mobo and powering most of the PC components and used a second OC Link “slave” PSU to provide extra power to three power-hungry graphic adapters and maybe a couple HDDs; if the “slave” PSU doesn’t start up or shuts down later while the PC is operating, the three graphics adapters and HDDs will suddenly become under powered or not powered at all while the PC continues to try operating, not a good scenario. While admittedly unlikely, leaving a system that is configured to run off two PSUs with one PSU shut down and the other one running is not good and could potentially place a lot of expensive hardware at risk. So while OC Link sounds good in theory, we don’t feel like it has been fully or properly implemented. We have discussed our findings with Antec and they are actively working to find a solution to this potential problem. We’ll update you as more information becomes available.”

but if you have the extra GPUs and their risers on the secondary no damage will be done

they might stop running, but your not going to damage your GPUs or mobo

anyways thats why you buy EVGA :slight_smile: G2… so there is less chance the PSU dies…

and P2 and T2 are a total waste of money - you can never earn the electric savings back, even with 10 years of 24/7/365 usage … it does not pay off… so why go with P2 or T2… just do the math…

the warranty is 10 years… if you use 24/7/365… after 10 years the PSU is probably worthless so I dont bother to calculuate for after 15 or 20 years… as there is no point… in 15 or 20 years everything will likely change and they wont be in use anymore anyways

i thought so too, windows just suddenly would not see them anymore, including the running miner, indeed, as long as you put both the extra gpu’s AND the risers on the secondary one

1 Like

yes correct :slight_smile: its totally safe

and yes put both GPU power and their risers on the same PSU

dont put risers on one and GPU on the other - as some recommend… not good.

and whatever you do, dont jump the secondary without linking it to the primary… its a really stupid idea which can bring serious problems and death of hardware… even worse than doing it like that… is recommending to people that they do it like that…

kill your own hardware… fine

but risk other peoples hardware… not good

The eVGA Supernova T2 1600 is more than enough power, rails and sata connections. Plus we had 11 of these from 390x builds that ran 14 months and we have since retired those cards, we are using an already sunk cost in the Titaniums

There is a noticeable difference between titanium and gold, especially if your pushing the PSU, however the intention was not buying that for the efficiency, I guess that is your assumption?It was originally purchased to meet requirements on the 390 6x builds.

You may of not been into mining during the R9 days, but the power requirements were significantly more. A 6x R9 390x rig required two PSU’s, but if you bios/voltage modded a R9 390 (non-X), you could keep it on a single 1600w

still very dangerous pumping the secondary like that,… and not good advice for people learning to build.
Sure it might work… sure might not have problems… but the risk is great… no need to take the risk if done properly

I thought 1080s mined more than 600 sol/s with OC. Why 3400 with 7 GPUs? I’m planing on building a similar build

1080’s do get over 600 h/s’s when o/c’d but you have to pay attention to heat, you just can’t pure overclock them without temp limits.
6 gpu’s should get you between 3400 to 3800 H/S’s … the difference comes from miner fee’s and pool difficulty
7 should get you 4000 to 4400 H/S’s

Slow down killer … if you do what we did in early 2014 with the jumper/clip, less than ideal. We since corrected that methodology in about 4 separate video’s after that and showing folks how to use PSU bridge - Master Slave units and a few other ways across the other video’s.

Lets just try to keep the story straight that is not a method we have suggested nor continue to use in nearly 3 years.

Looking into that now, livestream later tonight, if we can get it locked in at 4400 that will be great. Need to find a pool/miner that actually hits that. Our current stats are as following:

NiceHashMiner_v1.7.5.12 - 2912 Sol’s (way low for the 7 cards)
ZEC Miner v0.3.3b - 3404 Sol’s (no special configs, download and launch)
eqm 1.0.4 - 3013 sol’s

Were researching now on the steps to get 6k + and once found will give the proper shout out on the livestream tonight.

cool, maybe i didnt see the other vids