In celebration of Zcash NU5 and the world’s first implementation of Halo cryptography, ECC is proud to present the Cypherpunk Zero NFT collection—a grand experiment in cross-chain community building.
Here’s what you need to know about the initiative and the upcoming public release of free NFTs👇
About Cypherpunk Zero
Inspired by Zcash and Halo cryptography, the Cypherpunk Zero Creative Universe is a collaborative effort between ECC, illustrator Stranger Wolf, Mighty Jaxx and select ecosystem partners. Consisting of a forthcoming series of webcomics, NFTs and physical collectibles, the project explores the relationship between privacy, self-sovereignty and creative freedom.
Our story is centered on Zero, a young cypherpunk hacker and freedom fighter, as she navigates the intersection of the real and virtual worlds, attempting to create a brighter future with a new set of revolutionary technological discoveries.
You can further explore the project, including the immersive comic prologue here (best viewed from a desktop device): https://halo.electriccoin.co
Why are we doing this?
We have several overarching objectives for the NFTs as follows:
- Provide ECC (and the wider Zcash ecosystem) with opportunities for creative storytelling.
- Align incentives of the NFT holders such that they each become a steward for ECC/Zcash brand values.
- Introduce members of an adjacent crypto community (in this case the Ethereum NFT community) to Zcash technology + privacy themes.
About the artist & artwork
We partnered with the insanely talented illustrator Stranger Wolf to create a collection of 10,000 unique, generative Ethereum PFP (profile picture) NFTs. The collection consists of six hand-drawn character types and over 100 different attributes of varying rarity.
Total supply: 10,000 unique generative NFTs on Ethereum Mainnet
4% of supply (the first 400 NFTs) was airdropped to the project’s early supporters who purchased the Zcash X Mighty Jaxx: Cypherpunk Zero Genesis Edition Toy.
72% of supply (7,200 NFTs) will be released to the public using a novel whitelisting mechanism that requires using a Zcash wallet supporting encrypted memos (more details below).
24% of supply (2,400 NFTs) will be held by ECC in the Cypherpunk Reserve, for use in future initiatives that advance Zcash and privacy within the Web3 space.
Note: Any NFTs not claimed during the public release will be absorbed by the Cypherpunk Reserve.
Public release details
NFTs available during the public release: 7,200
Price: NFTs are free. Participants just need to pay the fees to send a Zcash encrypted memo and gas to mint each Ethereum NFT.
What you need to participate:
- A Zcash wallet that supports encrypted memos, loaded with enough ZEC to send a memo (0.00001 ZEC per memo). You can browse and download supporting wallets here.
- A clean, unused Metamask wallet loaded with enough ETH to mint the desired number of NFTs (gas costs ~0.0075 ETH / 7,500,000 gwei per NFT).
Important dates for the public release:
- May 13, 2022 at 9am PT / Noon ET: Ethereum wallet whitelisting period begins
- May 27, 2022 at 9am PT / Noon ET: Ethereum wallet whitelisting period ends
- June 3, 2022 at 9am PT / Noon ET: Free minting period begins on halo.electriccoin.co
- June 17, 2022 at 9am PT / Noon ET: Free minting period ends
- June 17-onwards: Launch of the Cypherpunk Reserve & Zcash community initiatives
The mechanics of the public release are designed to be as fair as possible while spurring usage of the Zcash protocol. We also hope for the release to yield interesting community dynamics from a game theory perspective.
On May 13, 2022 at 9am PT/ Noon ET, the whitelisting period will begin. ECC’s official Twitter account will tweet the Zcash shielded address to which participants must send an encrypted memo containing the Ethereum address they plan to use for minting the NFTs. At the end of the whitelisting period, a minting period of 14 days will occur.
During the 14-day minting period (June 3-17, 2022), each Ethereum address submitted during the prior whitelisting period will be granted the right to mint a share of the public allocation that is directly proportional to the number of submissions received via Zcash encrypted memo.
For illustrative purposes, a few example scenarios follow:
- If 72 unique submissions are received, each submission will have the right to claim 100 NFTs.
- If 7,200 unique submissions are received, each submission will have the right to claim 1 NFT.
- If greater than 7,200 unique submissions are received, the first 7,200 will be granted the right to each claim 1 NFT.
Assuming ~200 unique submissions, each NFT holder could effectively become a small-scale Cypherpunk Zero media franchise and market maker—with NFTs aligning incentives around brand stewardship, price discovery + liquidity.
Note: only unique submissions will be eligible for inclusion in the minting period. Duplicate submissions do not increase your share of the allocation. Users suspected of trying to game the public release will be automatically disqualified at the sole discretion of ECC.
We’ve seen too many projects over-promise and under-deliver on their NFT roadmaps. As such, there is no formal roadmap.
Trust that we’ve got some amazing, exclusive perks in the pipeline for NFT holders—some expected, some unexpected. Buckle up and join us for the ride
Be aware: Scammers and bots can take advantage of NFT releases. Always follow good wallet hygiene and security best practices.
There are a number of good resources for staying safe, like this post from Bankless. A few, non-exhaustive highlights can be found below:
- Never click links from anyone other than official ECC sources. Our official ECC Twitter can be found here. The official Cypherpunk Zero Twitter can be found here. The official microsite where minting will occur can be found here. For other important links, see the “Important Links” section in this forum post.
- We will never DM or email you about the Cypherpunk Zero NFT minting process.
- Use a hardware or “cold storage” wallet whenever possible.
- Use a new Ethereum wallet when you participate in any NFT mint.
- Never participate in gas wars. If network congestion on Ethereum is high, set your gas low or wait for congestion to subside. This is why our minting period is 14 days long.
- If something seems fishy, report it to the community immediately.
The Cypherpunk Zero NFT terms were designed to align with the Zcash ethos and highlight our commitment to a fair, open Web3 ecosystem. We took a similar approach when making the forthcoming Halo proving system available under MIT and Apache 2.0 licenses.
Thank you to all who are supporting this initiative
If you have questions, please leave them below and we’ll do our best to address them.