EVGA VGA vs CPU Cables/Ports - Are they interchangeable?

EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power Supply
Product: 120-G2-1300-XR

The VGA and the CPU cables appear to be very similar. Is it OK to use the CPU cable as an extra VGA cable?

Also do the modular CPU ports output the same power as the VGA ports? Meaning are they the same just labelled different for organizational purposes?

I need an extra VGA cable, and already have an extra CPU cable, so instead of buying another VGA cable, I was hoping to use the CPU cable instead. (To power another GPU).

Here are the two cables I’m referring to:

Spare EVGA VGA cable -Ebay

Spare EVGA CPU cable - Ebay

I believe they are not interchangable, have you tried plugging your CPU cable into a VGA port or vice versa?
why do you need an extra?

if you look at the ends you will see some of the 8 pin areas are rounded plastic, some are square, the squared pins are different locations on CPU vs VGA connectors

your build was for 6 GPUs, not 7 so if you wanted to add the 7th on one PSU, might have been a better choice to go with the AX1200i, AX1500i or Leadex 1600W or 2000W power supplies. as the connections on the Corsair PSU itself are the same and if you need you can just buy an extra VGA… not sure of the leadex 1600W, but I know the 2000W has 9 8 pin VGA connections and 2 8 pin CPU connections… the 1600W might also

in your case you can not even buy an extra VGA and use it in the EVGA PSU connection.

i believe you will need another PSU if you want to add nother GPU
so might not be worth it… live and learn :slight_smile:

The CPU leads and VGA leads do have their own supply in the PSU.
Where it might be possible, I would not try due to flucuating power in the PSU.

The CPU is not meant to pull 150 Watts or more like a GPU. :wink:
Keep that in mind.

1 Like

Yes, I’m trying to add a 7th GPU. Any way possible on that PSU?

you gotta repin the connectors so the 12V and gnd match for vga

They are not interchangeable.

A better idea is to use one of the MOLEX cables and a MOLEX to 6 or 8 pin PCI-e adaptor: http://images10.newegg.com/ProductImage/A85V_1_20151207581851863.jpg

Like the cables labelled “perif”?

But are the “perif” ports on the PSU powered same as VGA? Strong enough for a GPU?

Well, on my CoolerMaster G750M the molex and VGA leads use the same ports. So that would be a better choice compared to the CPU leads.

Yes. EVGA “Perif” Peripheral ports power MOLEX cables. Just stick to the cables that go in to the proper port and use a MOLEX to PCI-e adaptor. Don’t overthink it, and NEVER use cables from another brand power supply as the pinouts are different for EVGA vs Thermaltake for example.

1 Like

For those that don’t know EVGA supplies cables free of charge if you need extras.

2 Likes

Wait, so you can just email them asking for more perif cable?

You don’t need peripheral cables but PCI-E cables for the GPU.

Yes with the retailer and invoice.

1 Like

Wait what??? I gotta check this out in my country …I don’t need those stupid Sata cables I wish I could get Molex cables instead.

Hi.,…i am new here. I think your build was for 6 GPUs, not 7 so if you wanted to add the 7th on one PSU, might have been a better choice to go with the AX1200i, AX1500i or Leadex 1600W or 2000W power supplies. as the connections on the Corsair PSU itself are the same and if you need you can just buy an extra VGA…