Future of Zcash

I think this example is constructive and instructive of the past and future of Zcash, and the people that work at ECC and ZF that make tech development decisions.

Lets start with Hanhs first Ywallet grant from July 2022:

In the grant he offered to integrate Warp-Sync into librustzcash including full documentation:

‘’ I offer to integrate Warp Sync into librustzcash.‘’

‘‘These parts would be put into librustzcash and wallet devs would be able to use them. There would be some small work to integrate. But documentation and help will be provided.’’

‘‘In librustzcash repo, we would have zcash-warp (or something similar). It should follow the same API as the current synchronization API (but with some deviations when necessary)’’

‘‘Warp Sync is optional and the current synchronization mechanism in librustzcash will not be removed.’’

‘‘As the maintainers of librustzcash, the ECC devs have the final say in accepting/rejecting the PR. Though, we will work together to make the PR successful.’’

But we learn later from ZCG committee member Aditya in ZCG meeting minutes; that there was no interest from ECC to integrate Warp-Sync, as they were all in in DAG-sync:

‘‘Aditya said that the ZCG has received feedback from wallet developers about the potential of incorporating warp-sync in other wallets, and it turns out there is no interest. The Zcash wallet developers are working towards implementing DAG-sync’’

The grant was ultimately approved to the benefit of the whole Zcash eco-system. But without the Warp-Sync integration.

Hanh also provided developer documentation YWallet & Warp Sync - #75 by hanh.

What I find most interesting is a post from you in May 2022 where there was a discussion about wallet UX: Zcash UX Feedback - #7 by pacu

‘‘I must admit that all of the Zcash wallet developers have failed to collaborate with each other and bringing better sync times to everyone. We have Blaze Sync, and Warp Sync. None of those were contributed back to the Zcash Rust Crates. I’m not blaming anyone. It just didn’t happen. we all failed our users. Blaze and Warp sync are both incredible breakthroughs. They prove that there’s a better world out there, that a faster Zcash is possible.’’

It seems that you wanted Warp-Sync and Blaze-Sync to be integrated back into Zcash Main at that time; but you didnt comment or have anything significant to say when Hanh actually offered to integrate it.

Even as recently as February this year when discussing the positive feedback loop of the Dev Fund Nighthawk Wallet & Public Infrastructure - #44 by pacu
You posted this:

‘‘A real example of what I’m talking about has been the battle for the fastest syncing wallet. Let’s think about it and question ourselves:
Did that contribute to improving the overall well-being of the Zcash community?
How can others benefit from Blaze or Warp Sync if they don’t want to fork the whole wallet code?
How do other developers benefit from the breakthroughs that wallet teams funded from “the Dev Fund” produce?’’

Seemingly forgetting that Hanh himself offered to integrate Warp-Sync into back into Zcash Main and provided documentation, and that it was ECCs decision to not integrate Warp-Sync.

So, As one of the main wallet devs, were you at the time advocating and supporting internally for Hanh integration or not?

I think this story is extremely enlightening because it highlights ECCs attitude to outside devs. Not very welcoming (to say the least).

5 Likes