General Mining Questions

Hi everyone new member here. I wanted to ask a few questions.

I've been testing out setting up a wallet and mining on Ubuntu 16.04 with a VM on Windows 10.

1. Is there a simpler way of checking if your mining other than ./src/zcash-cli getinfo ?

2. Is gen=1 in zcash.conf and being synced all I need to be up and running?

3. At current diff ~260-300 how long would it take to find a block with a fast CPU and are blocks every 2 minutes on testnet?

CPU doesn't seem to heat up enough for me to be sure I'm mining unless I set procgenproclimit=#ofcores and yet again I'm not sure.

Both an i7 quad core processor and a 3930K (6 core cpu) gives me very close numbers 33 vs 25 respectively. I suppose thats due to single core performance or am I missing something here?

If you use Ubuntu's System Monitor (or something similar on the windows side) you should see one core is always maxed out if you're mining.

re: #2, that oughta do it.

The projected block time is 2.5 minutes. Sorry, I can't tell you how often you should expect to get a block. And, if those numbers you're referring to are from the zcbenchmark, the only reason one system should be faster than the other is if it has faster memory.

Hi,
answers to your questions (respectively)

1. If you like typing commands, then open the terminal as root, and type this:
    apt-get install htop
    Then simply run htop and it will display all of running services, and how many cpu threads are being used (with percentage)
    I use htop with Ubuntu servers, and desktops

2. Yes

3. Voluntary explained it in a simple clear way:

and regarding this:

No, you're not missing any thing here, it's all about RAM (Mostly) as Voluntary already explained.