How to run zcashd on Raspberry Pi 4 (64bit/arm64 Raspbian OS)

I was able to get zcashd to successfully build and run on a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4, running on the latest 64bit Raspbian OS - Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye). Linux raspberrypi 5.15.32-v8+ #1538 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 31 19:40:39 BST 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux

For reference, I was trying to follow the Debian/Ubuntu zcashd build steps but it fails to install the “g+±multilib” package and subsequently fails to build zcashd. Replacing the “g+±multilib” package with “gcc” allowed for a successful package download and build.

Full steps to reproduce below:

1. apt-get update
  2. apt-get -y install build-essential pkg-config libc6-dev m4 gcc autoconf libtool ncurses-dev unzip git python3 python3-zmq zlib1g-dev curl bsdmainutils automake libtinfo5 libncurses5
  3. git clone GitHub - zcash/zcash: Zcash - Internet Money
  4. cd zcash
  5. git checkout v5.0.0
  6. ./zcutil/fetch-params.sh
  7. ./zcutil/clean.sh
  8. ./zcutil/build.sh -j$(nproc)

While the build finishes (takes a while), you can add an existing zcash.conf file under /root/.zcash/ or let zcashd create one for you when it is started. Through the conf file, you can specify a different datadir to host your wallet & blockchain files on a mounted ssd/usb drive, specify your TOR proxy, and addnodes as needed. When it finishes, run zcash/src/zcashd to start the node and open another tab to use “tail -f /datadir/debug.log” to watch the logs.

I’m working on a Dockerfile/image using an ubuntu:18.04 base image with these same steps that will also run on a Raspberry Pi 4 (64bit OS aarch64).

3 Likes

Are you using docker buildx tooling to support this? We are always interested in what ARM folks use for tooling, and what they prefer while we navigate some of the cross/native compilation issues in zcash.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware but it looks like I am using docker buildx.
Plugins:
app: Docker App (Docker Inc., v0.9.1-beta3)
buildx: Docker Buildx (Docker Inc., v0.8.1-docker)

I’m currently just running zcashd without Docker on Raspbian OS and also building out a Dockerfile/image for testing and reproducing the build when needed (or for others to use).

1 Like

Builds & runs on Rpi4 8Gb running Ubuntu server 20.04 (focal) 64-bit

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Built v5.2.0 on a Pi4 8Gb - worked - now trying to catch up with the network.

6 Likes

For others who may learn better visually, here is a video to help:

and

3 Likes