I began mining. I have a question

Your Zcash wallet has a keypool and zcashd only uses addresses once when it’s mining. I think this behaviour is inherited from bitcoind and the idea is that all addresses should be treated as disposable.

1 Like

Where I can find my keypool?

I don’t know how to make zcashd list the keypool entries but I think they’re all contained in the wallet file. Look for default.wallet

btw Most of the commands available to bitcoind are also in zcashd.

Enter:

./src/zcash-cli help

for a list of those but also check out references like this one: Original Bitcoin client/API calls list - Bitcoin Wiki

1 Like

{
“walletversion” : 60000,
“balance” : 0.51750000,
“unconfirmed_balance” : 0.00000000,
“immature_balance” : 4.77500000,
“txcount” : 145,
“keypoololdest” : 1471731240,
“keypoolsize” : 101
}

mining very easy.
Pentium Skylake 4400. 50% power.
After October 28 will easy as now?
Thanx.

That’s some interesting output… Do you know the current block count on your system?

Difficulty is likely to go through the roof when the mainnet starts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

getmininginfo and:

151 yet…

Ah - you’re almost certainly mining by yourself due to the DoS attack on the network.

Dos attack now too???

I’ll buy ZEC on exchanges,
this coin will cost much more then $1.

What is it:
Zcash server starting
p@p-System-Product-Name:~/zcash$ terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::bad_alloc’
what(): std::bad_alloc

Hi guys,

So I believe I’m all set up. I just wanted to check with you guys after mining for a few hours if what I get back from ./src/zcash-cli getinfo is what you’d expect to see…

{
    "version" : 110200,
    "protocolversion" : 170002,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 21,
    "timeoffset" : 0,
    "connections" : 0,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 1.00000000,
    "testnet" : true,
    "keypoololdest" : 1471691894,
    "keypoolsize" : 101,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
    "relayfee" : 0.00005000,
    "errors" : "WARNING: check your network connection, 0 blocks received in the last 4 hours (96 expected)"
}

I’m assuming it’s telling me that 21 blocks have been mined by others while running, as the balance for my account is still zero.

I also had a couple of other questions…

Where exactly do the coins go? Does each miner get assigned a default address?

It looks like you are simply mining your own chain, nobody to compete with, and a difficulty of 1.0 (super easy) Use the listtransactions command to see your “generated” (spendable) coins or your “immature” coins which are waiting for 100 confirmations before they can be spent.

Every time you run a getinfo, listtransactions, etc… commamd you are querying the entire balance of the wallet. A wallet will have many separate addresses in it, but when you spend/send/recieve it will automatically drawn from as many addresses as it needs to fulfill the balance requested.

These addresses are contained in your wallet.dat file, protect that file with your life, it has all your private keys.

That normally happens when you don’t have enough free RAM to run correctly.

1 Like

Alpha z8 is kind of like a bad date who keeps leading you on. The final step is to copy over testnet3 from the link below, then delete his wallet.dat file if it is still in that folder. You’ll see “connections” = 1 when if you are on the right chain, assuming 8456 plus 24 per hour from the time of this post is the number of blocks you see. If you’re on about 1000 below that, you’re on a fork that might work just as well. If connections say zero, you’re mining your own chain. You are on your own chain from looking at your data above. It will not increase much unless you get on the current chain because the coins per block is 0.0005 times the block number.

Thanks man.

I gave that a shot and am now seeing connections = 1, and currently blocks = 3736 so it might not be on the main chain by the sound of it, but at least I’m not just mining my own now :slight_smile:

Thanks for the breakdown Shawn, it’s slowly all starting to make sense :grinning:

I just started mining. Im not sure actually if have started at all. ./src/zcash-cli z_gettotalbalance command does not return any result. Can anyone help? Im new to this.

What did you start mining with? We need more details. Did you install the Zcash wallet and are using it to mine? If so, that’s not going to get you any Zcash. At least not anymore. The time for CPU mining and solo mining for the most part has come and gone. GPU mining is still profitable for the time being but you would definitely want to join a pool to take advantage of that.

Keeping in mind that the current network hashrate is above 300 MSol/s. A decent GPU will do around 300-500 Sol/s. At this time most people run multiple GPU rigs connected to pools.