Introducing Zepio Wallet

After 4h of download i am only at 5.24%. This is obviously taking too long, and you must find a way to package the blockchain data somehow for faster downloads (at least for people installing fresh wallets without any imported addresses of theirs).

1 Like

Currently this is an unfortunate reality of syncing a node. There are workarounds that other cryptocurrencies have used… once Zcash light wallets are feasible, that’ll help with the onboarding friction.

1 Like

I just don’t see regular users waiting for over 24h for it to sync.

1 Like

You definitely have a point. Hence the need for light wallets.

Although I hope there will always be a sizable group of users who want a full node :slight_smile:

Maybe you could package data that is downloaded for blockchain in months or weeks, not individual blocks? I think I saw something like that with Dash full node wallets.

I waited over 72 hrs the first time
Get more ram
The only person who can know about your Shielded transactions is you, the private key holder so even if there was a snapshot you would still have to validate every single transaction from the Genesis (its the only way of differentiating other transactions from your own, zcashd doesn’t know other than to validate)

I Have 16GB of RAM, 4 x 4 DDR3 1866. Are you saying regular person needs to have more than 16 Gigs of RAM to use Zcash wallet ?

In that case it either isn’t being allowed access to enough memory or its an internet problem, I have a 12 GB machine and it took me 5hrs (the 72 hrs was a 4GB laptop over a year ago)

Its exactly this sort of problems we need to solve. If it isn’t being allowed access to enough memory, why is this the case and how can we fix it.

1 Like

Its because validating zk-snarks is slightly computationally intensive, there are ideas floating around for reducing the amount of work required to assertain your history (github) but it’s mainly because it’s such new, novel mathematics that the amount of people with working knowledge overall (in rhe world) is pretty low, gonna take some time

The new version of ZECwallet has ‘fastsync’, which speeds up the initial download by skipping checks that are not relevant (ie: if a wallet has just been created there’s no need to scan everything as you know the wallet is empty)

If there’s an existing zcash installation you’re stuck with the standard sync, but for a new installation it should be faster.

3 Likes

It was brand new wallet install. I had no imported addresses, nor any leftover files from old wallets.

Can you launch zcashd manually from cmd?