Lack of wallet encryption

is there official zcash wallet with encryption up yet? getting sick and tired of keeping my crap on exchange all the time…

for windows this is the most valid wallet: https://zcash4win.com/
don’t keep your coins in exchange wallets, they get stuck easly…

that wallet is unofficial and does not support encryption. also never been updated since 2016…

It’s been updated literally a few days ago @regalasnig (and it’s been kept up to date every time) , @anon47418038 (the one who built the GUI wallet) is an active member of the community.

1 Like

newest version was pushed out last thursday, lol

and if you want zcash on windows, my port is what you’ve got to use…command line or with a GUI

so even on linux there is still no encryption?? holy shit what is wrong with this coin? massive pump and dump just steal everyones wallet twards the end? rofl

Radix42, please is any recommended procedure tu upgrade from 1.0.10 ?
thx
ori

Uninstall zcash4win in “Add/Remove Programs” and then just double click the msi file you downloaded for 1.0.11

No, there is not going to be some pump and dump, that’s madness and would cause the value to instantly plummet to zero!

The (complicated) reasons that the wallet is not encrypted has to do with how scanning for transactions sent to a zaddress are done, and how that interacts with the startup of zcashd (and all of its forks, so this answer also applied to Komodo, Zclassic, Zero, HUSH (ne zdash), and ZEN and did I miss anyone?

The essence of it is that you can’t tell if a transaction sent to a shielded z-address is to you unless you attempt to decrypt it, so for every txn that has a JoinSplit in it that a node encounters when scanning, rescanning, etc it tries to decrypt it with each of the zaddrs in the wallet. Which is another reason to not make superfluous zaddrs all willy nilly, as they are safe to re-use (with a few caveats that may or may not apply to your use case, but that’s beyond the scope of this response!).

The core ZcashCo devs are in the process of untangling scanning for zaddrs, daemon startup, and getting that refactored out of the code path for wallet encryption and decrption. Until that happens, you can encrypt wallet.dat yourself after shutting down zcashd (command line or gui) and then decrypting it yourself before startup, with any of a large number of 3rd party tools. And/or keep it all on an encrypted disk partition in the first place, but performance for that is of course slower and may or may not work well with a blockchain.

Also be aware that any malware, virus or trojan that could steal your wallet.dat file is also perfectly capable of doing keystroke capture for when you enter the password to decrypt it. Sophisticated attackers trolling for bitcoin/altcoin wallets are rumored to have been spotted doing that in the wild, but I don’t track the latest trends in malware closely, as that’s my my thing.

So for offline storage, encrypt with your tool of choice, and for a hot wallet you run all the time, just realize that an encrypted wallet is largely a false sense of security.

Cheers,

-David Mercer
Tucson, AZ

3 Likes

@paige is there a FAQ with the equivalent of the above laid out clearly (and without any errors I may have unintentionally made in this explanation?) If not please feel free to steal/adapt it, as it comes up quite a lot and I hereby place the above text in the public domain :slight_smile:

Use a hardware wallet if you’re dissatisfied with lack of encryption on the official wallet. Or even a cold storage / off-line / paper wallet.

1 Like

Correct! Both the Ledger Nano S and Trezor support Zcash and are the safest way I’ve found to store coins.

Since these hardware wallets support only transparent addresses, you can adopt a process of transfering funds between them and a full node desktop wallet when you wish to conduct private transactions.

By the way, Erik Vorhees recently indicated that with their purchase of KeepKey, you can expect most coins supported on ShapeShift will get added to their hardware wallet, presumably Zcash as well.

2 Likes