Major Grants Review Committee Candidates MEGATHREAD

2 members that are in ethereum positions apply for the Zcash MGRC seats?

Me personally has some problems with people from other crypto currency projects applying for this position and seats, but that’s just me.

6 Likes

I was just thinking about suggesting something similar. I like the idea:

My absolute favourite and nomination is: James Prestwhich @prestwich

6 Likes

@dontpanicburns I have added a link to your thread in the top post, Good Luck!

2 Likes

Whats the purity test for being a true zcash community member? Contributing in a non trivial way to the project or are you looking for someone who has no experience in the broader technical industry? https://www.coindesk.com/devs-destruction-inside-zcashs-second-crypto-ceremony

4 Likes

I personal would fit it up this way:

• someone purely dedicated to Zcash
  • someone putting most effords into Zcash
  • someone without possible conflict of interest now and in future
  • someone without ties to the Foundation and ECC and other possible grant consumers/receivers.

But that’s just my view of course.

2 Likes

Why do you think a member of the grant review committee needs experience in the tech industry? As I understand it, the role is to choose the grant that is most important for the development of the project, and not to do a full analysis of the performance code. I would say that we need talented managers more than talented technicians.
Hence the problem in representatives from other projects, if the project is successful thanks to some kind of approach, then we don’t need a repeat, because probably two times it won’t work out well, if not then this person is again not needed.

4 Likes

Why would actual hands-on experience be perceived as a negative?

The types of projects that the MGRC will be evaluating will by thier nature be very technical so having experience can only be a positive.

ZIP1014 specifically allows for two representatives (one from ECC and one from ZFND) to be able to sit on the MGRC.

At most one person with association with the ECC, and at most one person with association with the ZF, are allowed to sit on the Major Grant Review Committee.

2 Likes

If not ‘blessed in’ you have to be ‘jumped in.’ This involves fighting several Zcashers at once. It’s a test of combat skills, bravery, and belief in the mission. If you hold on long enough without blacking out, then you’re in.

13 Likes

I clarified at the end of the post that you need a talented manager, and an engineer may or may not be at all, do you think the leaders of large companies themselves delve into the intricacies of production? (Microsoft, Nvidia, AMD) What is needed now is what is needed, a strategic vision and a sense of what is needed in the market. If you recruit all the members of the committee of technicians, you’ll get the same thing but a +1 company, and there will be an endless debate about which zcash is technically perfect. The task is to direct the development in the right direction, and there is someone to count for the quality of development. If there is a talented manager and a talented technician all rolled into one, then this is ideal.

8 Likes

I agree with that statement.

2 Likes

Damn! I thought it was being able to recite the entire ASIC thread from memory …I’ve been training for the wrong event.

14 Likes

Talking about people who are technical and have deep knowledge of Zcash, I would actually like to propose @tromer as a MGRC candidate.

6 Likes

Because the industry is rife with projects that are un-deliverable by the teams asking for money and I believe having that experience managing and understanding solution architecture and project delivery methodologies gives a more holistic view of a grant proposal and can prevent wasting the funding. I’m not an engineer and the MGRC shouldn’t do code review, but the members should have the ability to evaluate the proposal with more due diligence than a normal blockchain enthusiast.

4 Likes

Thanks for the compliment :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve been following the process and I’m not sure whether I’m going to throw my hat in the ring

As a side note, I won’t pass any purity tests. Zcash has a special place in my heart, but most of my time is spent working on and for other chains. Summa is primarily a consulting business right now. Our strength is broad exposure to many different chains and experience with many different grant processes. We’ve worked with grant teams at Nervos, ZFND, Cosmos, and others

8 Likes

I’d like to know where candidates stand of the issue of whether the major grants committee should continue after 4 years, or be discontinued in favor of something else?

Personally I would like to eventually move toward something more decentralized, such as coin holder voting on dev funding.

Committee members could even decide to fund the development of such a coin holder voting system.

3 Likes

i’d like to stick to 4 years. think we’ll come up with something more interesting within that timeframe. if nothing interesting’s developed, the community could vote to continue MGRC

1 Like

@aristarchus Can you please ask this question to the individual candidates in their threads? It will make it easier for users to follow each of the candidates responses as opposed to them all responding here.

2 Likes

Thanks, @anon16456014, for this vote of confidence!

I feel that my voice has been heard a whole lot during the Dev Fund consensus building, which required a focused effort. With that successfully behind us, now is a time for more voices to bloom, and for the community, which has seen some churn over the last couple of years, to find its footing. I have my opinions, critique and ideas on various topics, but don’t want these to dominate the discussion at this tender stage. So for now I’m staying quiet and listening.

14 Likes

Glad you want come up with something else to eventually replace the committee. I really hope we are not in a position where we are voting to continue the committee after the 4 years.

I believe the committee can do a lot of good and be effective at this early stage of Zcash’s development, but not sustainable long term.

2 Likes
2 Likes