My 'Zcash on Tor' project status update

I was the recipient of a 2017 Q4 Zcash Foundation project grant for my ‘Zcash on Tor’ project.

See: Zcash addnode Tor hidden service .onion

After disbursement, unfortunately the dollar market value of my grant dropped in real terms from around $500 per ZEC to below $50 per ZEC. Due to difficult ongoing personal circumstances it simply became impossible to continue with the original proposal.

However, I notified members of the Zcash Foundation that I would continue to run project servers at a reduced throughput and I have continued to operate between 6 to 10 updated zcashd on Tor v2 servers to-date.

Notice, however: on October 15th, 2021 … The Tor Project Inc.,

“We will release new Tor client stable versions for all supported series that will disable v2.”

See: Onion Service version 2 deprecation timeline | The Tor Project

Whilst my ‘Zcash on Tor’ project would endeavour to (continue to) run new v3 .onion zcashd servers … “helping to strengthen the network and contributing to a social good” … and to better fulfil my original project proposal to the community … it is not going to be possible for myself to consider doing this without more substantial funding moving forward.

I’ve become increasingly disenfranchised and I feel somewhat out-of-pocket.

I’m of course delighted to see " Arti: A pure-Rust Tor Implementation for Zcash and beyond get funded to the tune of $670K …

It would perhaps be great to see the long-term supporters of these essential privacy technologies get better support!?

‘BitcoinFX’ / xyZcash - See: [ANN] Bitcoin (BTC) on Tor addnodes Project.

Cheers!

Onwards.

3 Likes

This is unfortunate. Perhaps if you had brought this up sooner (no posts in 3years?) ZF or ZOMG could have helped out.

You still have the option of applying for a new grant: https://grants.zfnd.org

6 Likes

Indeed. Yes this should of been brought up sooner.

I will register and apply for a new grant in time whilst I start to migrate services.

zancas has been kind enough to update me via PM as to the current ‘work-in-progress’ status with ZIP155 Backport of BIP155 (enabling Torv3 .onion services with Zcash).

1 Like

We have more current status available on github, for interested parties.

1 Like