New Rig x8 1080ti

Just a general question… Im building a x8 aorus 1080ti rig and was wondering if i could power it on a separate dedicated 20 amp breaker safely or if my best option would be to have a 30 amp breaker installed and run it off a PDU? I would be using 2 EVGA 1600T2 PSU’s because those are what i have laying around… I know you should only have 80% current drawn continuously which i believe on a 20 amp breaker is 1920 watts…Thank you…

I guess it depends on the amount of downclocking you’re aiming for. I run 4x 1080Ti now, and I’ve clocked them to run at appr. 225W each (each card gives roughly 730-750 sol/s). My settings are 85% power on the ASUS 1080Ti STRIX, and 90% on the ASUS 1080Ti Turbo. Don’t know the default power consumption of the Aorus that you have, though.

On an 8 GPU rig, that would be 8 x 225W = 1800W. That would leave 120W for the rest of the system, which may be a bit scarce.

But it should work as long as you downclock enough before you start mining. If the clock settings for some reasons fail during full load and all cards returns to default specs, the breaker will go (and the rig stops working). But if only one or two of the cards goes back to stock settings, you may exceed the 1920W limit (without you realizing). That would probably be the worst case scenario for fire risk.

I was thinking about aiming for a 80/85% power limit for the cards… I just want to take the safest route… Not trying to leave and then return to my house being burnt to the ground lol… Just didn’t want to have a 20 amp breaker installed only to realize hey i should have went the 30 amp PDU route… Just trying to do things the right way the first time that’s all…

According to a tom’s hardware article the card is set for a default 250W of power consumption… Which that ends up being 2000W when multiplied by 8… plus your other system parts CPU,RAM,SSD, ECT… So maybe i should shoot for 75% power… If set to 80% power limit thats 200W x 8 = 1600W which leaves the rest of the system 320W of power to be at the 1920W 80% limit of a 20 amp breaker…

Question, Running a dual psu mining rig is it best to plug both PSU’s into one outlet or on the new dedicated 20 amp circuit i’m having installed have two receptacles and plug one psu in to each of the receptacles? I’ve tired searching google for hours but cannot get a straight answer… As i would like to have a Kill-a-Watt connected to each of the PSU’s…

Hi

A duel PSU rig will only be running off 1 wall power outlet anyway as you Join the 2 PSUs together with one of these:

That’s what I run at least in my 8 GPU 1070 rig( 1000w and a 650w PSU).

Sorry first post and made a hash of it! Of course 2 PSU does have 2 power outlets, on my rig I have both plugged into a 4-bar surge protector which in turn plugs into 1 wall socket. I don’t think plugging into a separate wall socket would make any difference since both wall sockets would be off the same 20 amp ring anyway.

It depends how much complication you want to add to the system - if you split the 2 power supplies over 2 different breaker circuits, how can you guarantee that they both have power before they automatically try to boot, or is that not a risk? I guess if the motherboard etc has power and boots up, there will be 4 ‘dead’ cards with no power which shouldn’t be an issue for the cards.

Another option would be to put in a 20 amp circuit, or even higher just to be safe. If you’re running a new circuit, the cost to go up from a 15 amp to a 20 amp or 25 amp should be minimal - a bit more for a larger breaker, and a little bit more for larger gauge wire.

As for the Aorus 1080 Ti, hash rates are good, power usage https://www.pyramidreviews.com/crypto-gpu-models/gigabyte-aorus-gtx-1080ti/

Thank you for the response… I was just curious. I will be using a Y adapter for the psu’s… Only reason I asked about plugging into different outlets on the same breaker is because I wanted to monitor power usage from both psu’s and wasn’t sure if it was safe or not to run a miner off a power strip that wasn’t a server grade PDU… If that’s the case could I just get a good surge protector and one kill-a-watt? Because my new dedicated 20 amp circuit will be installed next Wed and just wanted to get everything hashed out on if I should have one or two outlets installed… Because that 1080ti rig will be the only miner on that circuit… I was debating on the 20amp breaker install or a 30amp breaker and power my miners off 220v PDU…

I can only talk if my experience but I’d say you will be fine with just a surge protector( I’m not sure what a kill-a-watt is, I’m in UK).

As mentioned if not much cost difference I’d go for the 30amp rated ring over 20amp as that gives you scope to add future rigs. It’s the amps that melt the wires after all, Watt/ Voltage = Amps.

UK we have 30amp ring as standard off 240V so currently I’ve less of an issue to gengetting any updates although a friend who has 6x 1080ti rigs running did get some work done.

Kill-a-Watt is essentially just a meter that plus into the outlet then you plug whatever into it… it reads the wattage being draw by whatever is plugged into it…

Ah ok, a ‘power meter reader’ then. I use one of those as better for overall rig power usage from which I can get an accurate rig efficiency rating( sols/Watts ). I also use mine to calculate electricity costs so I periodically sell some ZEC to pay those costs off(once a month or so).

Heard from my friend he got 2x 32AMP rings in for his 6 rig setup( so 3 off each)

Next rig i build after this is gonna be a 6x 1070ti rig if set correctly you can hit 4.7 Sol/w which is amazing in my opinion…

Undervolting at 80-85% you can easly run 8x 1080 ti aorus from 20 AMP.
I got same cards running at 150W at 620 sol/s.

That’s what i was planning on about 80% power limit… Just hoping the cards don’t somehow reset themselves while im out lol…

if you are using windows remember to not close your OC program.
If they reset and runa t stock settings they pull 200 W so it would be 1400 for the cards and 1500 with the system running, your 20 AMP should be able to cover an eventual “reset”.

Are you from the US?
20 AMP at 110V is 2200 Watt
20 AMP at 220V is 4400 Watt…

Yes i am in the US but i though max wattage on a 20 AMP circuit was 2400 which your only aloud a max of 80% for a continuous load which would be 1920 Watts. Haven’t decided yet if i wanna stick with windows or make the switch over to SMOS…