NVIDIA GTX 1080 ti GPUs

@nekkidtruth How many cards 1080 ti Extreme can be plugged into single PSU cable? I have 3 6 pin outputs on single PSU cable. Is it save to connect three cards to it?

That depends entirely on your PSU. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s pretty good thing :slight_smile:

OK, hopefully the last noob question to you guys @nekkidtruth @root. I assume it is safe to connect my 3 1080tiā€™s with single PSU cable, because indeed this is 3 different cables tied together, right? :slight_smile:

Update: realized, that raizers are low power consuming devices, so it must be totally safe use single PSU cable for three of them. Iā€™ll just wait until Slush finds block and make change of cables :slight_smile: (6 hours without block, donā€™t want to miss next one while will be switching)

Thank you all!

This is how you use molex risers. A single cable per 2 risers. You do go directly from the PSU into the riser. There is no need for a molex to sata adapter and if you use one there is a fire hazard with the 1080 ti cards because they pull more amps than sata is rated for (they will heat up over time, possibly months).

Try to get something that has good cooling. I personally like Gainward GS cards, they are 3 slots wide, have bigger cooling fins and the GS series have good performance. Although Iā€™m useng the 1080 GS from gainward, I think those are excellent cards (so far)ā€¦

I am using riser 006c (6 pin). I am currently using IDE/SATA port from PSU to SATA cable and plug it into SATA to 6 Pin to power the riser. Its drangerous, I have just know it. I am planning to cut out the SATA connectors and solder them together, is it safe?

It sounds like the 4 card limit issue is unique to EVGA and its precision X OC software. If you go MSI cards/afterburner software, this is not an issue and you can then overclock with 6+ cards.

Itā€™s kind of a pain in the ass for me to find this out after-the-fact, as I already have four EVGA cards and wanted a fifth. Forced to choose between replacing all for MSI/Corsair Hydroā€™s, or just putting a 5th one on my second rig of 1070ā€™s.

Noā€¦ that sounds just as dangerous. Can you go direct to molex or direct to 6-pin? Try to remove sata entirely.

Yep! This is exactly why I made the post. Also, Iā€™ve requested directly to EVGA that they support more than 4 cards. Their response was that since Nvidia only allows 4-way SLI they wonā€™t be adding support for more than Nvidiaā€™s SLI limit. They phrased it as a matter of not going outside their partnership with Nvidia. It didnā€™t make any sense and I think they were just making excuses to not put in the work adding extra card support.

I mean I will make 6pin-6pin by these available cables. I dont want to increase my investment.
Cut the connectors and solder wires.

I donā€™t think that is wise, but maybe someone else with more electrical knowledge can give more information. I donā€™t think those cables are rated for that power.

@BMor im using MSI Afterburner

thanx a lot :wink:

Hey guys! Im new to the forumā€¦ and to mining as well, got a 6 x 1080ti (sc2) up and running in ubuntu 16.04, (cuda drivers 375ishā€¦) using ewbf latestā€¦ been doing around 700Mh/s per card w/ stock settings. Iā€™m about to start tunning them up to increase output, i read thru the whole post (very insightful, thanks everybody!) but couldnt find what i was looking forā€¦
Does anybody have any recommendations for the clocks settings on this setup?

Every card is going to be capable of slightly different clock settings, so you will need to just experiment with the settings. Increase them, test for stability by letting it run for at least 6 hours, if no crashes increase it again.

To give you some ball park area though, I am running SC Black editions (which are identical to the SC2ā€™s other than the extra sensors and RBG LEDā€™s) at +100 core clock and +450 memory clock at 100% power for ~750-760 sols.

1 Like

700h/s twenty charsā€¦

Have to apologize for any broken English that may cause headache, fever, or death.
I saw a few people who wants to power 6 GTX 1080 TI with a single 1600W PSU.
First of all, no donā€™t do that.
Second, PSU has efficiency, and Motherboard, CPU, and Fans require power. 6 GTX 1080 TI rig running at 100% power will need around 25061.25=1875 W. This value is a little bit conservative, but you are most likely within -100w.
Third, assuming most people didnā€™t rewire their house for a few mining rig, then the rig is most likely protected by 15A breaker @ 115V. Per National Electric Code, circuit breaker are rated at 125% of the cable ampacity. Meaning, you really shouldnā€™t be pushing more than 80% of your breaker rating through your wires. For a 15A breaker, the total circuit load (all outlets protected by the same breaker) should not exceed 12A.
Your best bet is to run 3 GTX 1080 TI and 3 GTX 1070 on the same rig.
Just donā€™t burn down your house.

2 Likes

Lower Power really doesnā€™t mean anything. Itā€™s all about the current going through the cables. Iā€™m unable to find the pcie power drawn by GUP. So I assume itā€™s 75W @ 12Vdc. Thatā€™s a shit load of direct current.

Loadā€™s power draw is depended on the load, not the source. I didnā€™t read the article in the link, but why would a 75W load draw 54W? The only way that statement can be true is that the load draw less then 54W, but the circuit efficiency forces the the source to supply 54W or 75W. Circuit with low efficiency requires more power from the source to power the same load. You should not use a sata connector because itā€™s only rated at 4.5A (google search result). The cable on the sata adaptors is the same size as the PSU cables, meaning the cable is not bottle neck. The sata connector limits the adapter rating. Google ā€œcable ampacityā€ for more information. If the circuit draws 75W @ 12 Vdc, the maximum current is 75/12=6.25 A. Sata connector is simply not rated for it. If the circuit draws 54W @ 12 Vdc, the maximum current is 54/12=4.5A. This is running at 100% of the spec, which should not be recommended by any Engineer that doesnā€™t want to lose their PE licenses. So you have to know the specific current drawn by your riser to know if itā€™s safe to use sata connector. To be safe, just donā€™t.