NVIDIA GTX 1080 ti GPUs

I need some help please! I am super new to this and this is my first rig… 3 1080 ti dukes with a corsair hx 1000i psu… i got 3 risers but im so lost on how to connect the cables! I got 4 PCIe 8 pin with 2 connectors to each… does each one of those cables need to go into the gpu? ( like both connectors?) which im guessing is yes… but that would leave me with only one cable to go from the psu to all 3 risers? That wouldnt work… or am i doing something wrong here? Please welp!

imageimage

Don’t plug more than two risers per cable use the extension cable to sata or molex if needed

Screenshot_20170730-140523

Hi Jimmy, thank your for your quick reply…

So if i have 4 cables and each gpu(3) needs 1 (cable - 2 connectors) ill use the one remaining cable to power 2 risers and how would i power the 3rd riser? Like what would be the safest way since everyone keeps saying the The molex cables that come with the risers are dangerous?

Can i use the 2nd pcu cable i got to power the 3rd riser?

Or is it safe to do it like this picture? IMG_0988

1 Like

Hi Cnac,

You can use the molex to plug the last one its safe.

The thing dangerous is to have lot wattage into less cables

Do not use the flat SATA connectors with 1080 ti cards.

@root please see my image… so this is not ok? Should i just order another pcie cable!? Do they even sell that?

I agree - mix 1080 Ti with 1070 in one rig.

I solved my temperature problem. Instead of increase VGA fan speed to 100%. I bought used server fans (Delta 9cm 0.4amp ball bearing fan), connect 3 fans with zip ties and attach to 1 card. I love how the temp go down and the hashrate go up. The stock fan till running at ~1000rpm while the server fans running at ~3500rpm.
My rig before
0_8080
And after fan mod
0_8080
2017-07-31 15_00_35-Live - Internet Explorer

I am actually find that my PSU come with enough PCIE 8Pin cable for both cards and riser :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Thien
What is the statistics tool are you using?
Its great.could you share plz!

Could you share a screenshot of your afterburner settings?

just add --api 0.0.0.0:8080 to the end of ewbf command. Then open your browser with this address http://0.0.0.0:8080, you can NAT it through your router to access from internet.

2 Likes

Power 75% / Temp Limit 70 / Core +100 / Mem + 400. I dont know if it is the best settings or not, may be ill try to lower the Mem.

Thank you for clarifying it. Thank you @VanijaDev for trying to help as well, it is okay we learnt the proper way now. :grinning:

Now I have another question. I have built my 2x1080ti rig it is working fine. My question is about underclocking. So is it safe to decrease power target and then increase gpu clock offset? I can make it a lot more efficient with this way but what values are considered safe? I do not feel comfortable with increasing clock or memory and lowering power at same time.
Currently my settings and sol. rate are as follows:
IMG_5219IMG_5221

@TeamGreen @root @Blue @TaQuangTien You have some experience, would be nice if you can help. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Yah, you need air flow to keep mining rigs cool. Due to limited space between each GPU. GPUs (exclude the first one) are cooling with air warmed by the card in front of it. I have ASUS strix. The heatsink has vertical fins. I found that the best placement for my array of 120mm case fan is on top of the GPU chip, blowing the warm air upward. I’m running at 80% power @ around 60 C with 50% GPU fan speed.

Well, I’m doing 80% on my Asus GPUs. One GPU went up to 180 core offset while another one can only stay at 100 core offset. All of them have 1000 Mem offset. The efficiency of each GPU is different. You have to find the stable OC for your GPUs by trial and error. Your computer might freeze, just don’t freak out. Everything should be fine. Just power down your pc and restart it. You might run into blue screen, but you should be able to fix it by power down and restart again.

Make sure you don’t start your mining program before you fix the Overclock, or your computer might crash again.

@root is your molex going straight into the riser? Without having to use the cable provided with the riser? Im seriously so lost with this riser bs! All i am being able to do is use a molex from psu to the yellow and black extensions cable that comes with the riser … since then other end is the pcie which goes into the riser… i heard those are the best risers from mintcell, but im just now sure how you guys are powering them, theres no clear yt vid or images that show that… or are ur risers able to take a molex directly into it?

Of i finally realized where i fuckrd up… i bought these risers

IMG_1001

When i should have bought these:

IMG_0999

… and this is why i had to use the shitty cables from the risers that connect from 6 pin to molex then molex cable to psu… instead of going directly from psu to riser with molex…

At least you received your risers mine was ordered since June 23

Just use a pcie (VGA) cable to go directly into the 6 pin riser. Do not use molex at all with 1080 ti cards. Don’t use the sata connectors.

Yes, straight to the riser, always.