NVIDIA GTX 1080 ti GPUs

yes, i know all that, im not that new, im just asking for people’s experiences in using both OS’s and differences they encountered, either in hashrate, overcloking or general stability

in your second sentence you said “from what i have been seeing all have linux miners”

So I replied to let you know, that no, a lot of people do not use linux to mine with. I don’t use it at all.

So I am perplexed at what exactly are you trying to discover

I run multiple rigs, all with windows 10, my issues are minor hiccups due to updates or trying out updates to the mining software or new mining software. I reboot once every 14 days just to clear the system and that is set automatically. If a gpu fails I have it setup in windows to reboot. When it does afterburner starts with windows and then the mining software starts after a 30 second delay.

thanks, that is a good example of stability issues on Windows, however minor

I am new miner, just two week experience with 3 PCs, a HP Z420 with a 1080Ti runing Ubuntu 16.04, a rig with 5 1070Ti runing Ethos 1.2.7, a very old PC with 1070Ti runing Windows10. The following three things are very important, what ever OS you will use.

1. Easily overclock for better performance and power.
  2. Shall notify miner status repeatly, especially something wrong.
  3. Shall recovery from most dead fault automaticaly without your help, just notify you.

On windows 10, I am using NvidiaInspector CMD tools for overclock, an modified the Equihas miner Autorun script.

I am just getting started. I have 3 1080 TI’s and have been trying some of the different settings in the message. I am getting about 725-750 with these settings. I can’t seem to set my fans to run 100% with afterburner. I can set it for one card, and it stays, but when I go to another card they change.

Also I am using ZM miner as the ebwf seems to not being updated.

I have 3x GTX 1080ti Nvidia FE memory 0 Core Clock +170 and the same result 90% power limit but change to 80% power limit 662/667W the ring consumption

Did you get your fans to run faster? When I get them to 80% the temp drops to high 60s. However I can only do one card at 80% fan

Also can you post your settings so I can make sure I am copying them

I have 63s C fan 64%

What did you do with the EVGA 1080ti SC hybrid cards? Are you able to run them in a larger group with other 1080ti cards? I’ve ordered my first EVGA GeForce GTX 1080ti SC hybrid card to start mining, thinking that it would be fast and the water cooling would help it last longer, but did not know EVGA limited them to only 4 per rig. Can you run them in a larger rig without overclocking?

Thanks! I’m a noob and trying to get up to speed as fast as possible!

That may have been true before, but not now

Thank you! I had been doubting and freaking out trying to decide if I should return it and go with something else. If they’ve gotten Precision updated so that it can see everything, then I’m happy to stick with it!

I have the latest version of windows (1709) and the latest version of A.B. I have no problems

How many are you running? Are you able to see all the fans in Afterburner? My card gets here tomorrow and I can’t wait to set it up!

Awesome thread.

Regarding 1080 ti four card limitation, am I correct in thinking this only relates to overclocking and if I wanted to run eight cards without overclocking I could do so, or is a hard limit where it will literally only permit four NVIDEA cards?

Also assuming it is a hard limit that you cannot bypass with the same cards, could I use another four 1080 ti’s from another brand, MSI, Gigabyte, Asus etc alongside the four NVIDEA’s?

This is the model I ordered.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M, 3x Async Fan Control, Optimized Airflow Design Graphics Card 11G-P4-6696-KR

It also says.

Built for EVGA Precision XOC:

This new version of Precision is built for the NVIDIA Pascal architecture and combines the best of EVGA Precision and EVGA OC Scanner to give you never before seen overclocking features and built in automatic tuning.

EVGA 4 card limit was related to overclocking using the EVGA proprietary software (PRECISION XOC, et al). You can still use Afterburner to OC in situations where this limit is exceeded, however there were some issues reported on the EVGA cards with 3 fans IIRC using 3rd party software (Afterburner could not find all of the onboard fans, but it should be stated that this is a separate issue).

As I remember people were trying to set their fan speed on a hybrid gpu’s, there is no need to do that. Let it handle it… besides if you are doing 60c+ on a hybrid, you are doing something incorrectly

I’ve got 3x Linux rigs of 12x water cooled right now (my others are blower fan 1080 tis). The EVGA SC2s handle their own cooling - you aren’t able to set the fan speed. They still keep very low temps, so it turns out that these are a great mining card with less hassles. You can overclock as well. I haven’t tested more than 4 + overclocking on Windows.

This is correct. You only need to set the fan speed in the BIOS if your hybrid card connects directly to the motherboard (Corsair Hydro).

I confirm I am using MSI Afterburner for my mine with 6 EVGA cards, and it works perfectly fine! I am OC, Fan controlling and everything.