Problem with Mining rig

i am beginning to think that the gigabyte board was a bad choice and as i can not set gen 1 for pci-e i probably will replace it
most of you who run rigs have intel based boards

can someone provide info on what amd or intel board that supports 6/7 gpu and works

weekend bump (20chars)

My asrock h81 pro btc works great

It’s not the board. Friend mines in Windows fine and trys on Linux and 4 of the 6 cards dont work.

Drivers is probably the reason.

if i plug the cards (3) directly into the motherboard it mines just fine and i get around 220 sol with 3x rx480 on silentarmy 5

However as soon as i plug in just 1 card on a riser the system doesn’t boot(tried all slots)
If i have 1 card in PCIe 1 and plug in a card with a riser the system boots up but only the card in PCIe is detected.
If i add another card the system goes dead and will not boot.

I have a Asrock h81 pro btc. And I have been struggling to get 6 GPUs running for like 11 days, before I figured out that 14 out of 15 raisers are dead.

Invest some research and a few bucks more to get good quality raisers. cryptomined is selling good ones here on the forums.

Here you go:

so you think it is the risers?
I thought i had bought good ones as 6 did cost like $55

They look like they are the same as the ones cryptomined is using.
One more reason i think it is the board not supporting risers at all.
I have no way to for example set PCIe to Gen1 or in fact do any settings on PCIe/PCI

I can use ether GEN1 or GEN2 but the Auto setting fails. Not sure if that is the big deal here. Just for fun, try to clear the CMOS with the jumper on the board. That helped my board to start up without troubles.

I could figure out a 100% for sure that my raisers are faulty. I cutted out one of the x1 slots on the board and placed a GPU right in there, and the system works. So it had to be those.

Else the raisers just cause bananas on the board. Code 12s, 13s and 43s in the device manager. Or not detecting the cards at all, causing 173% hyper fan speed on the GPUs, etc.

yeah i know of that trick with the cmos with plugged in cards but didn’t help

Do your raisers have a version number on them? Mine are version 003. V004 are told to work. I bought some V006 just today. Hope those arrive within a few days.

Mine are Version V006.

1 Like

Hm, crap.

Check the soldering on the back, and on the front right under the slot.
Here is an example of an faulty board with a super bad soldering job.

This is the front, with ripped off slot to see the soldering points.

checked that with a magnifying glas and the soldering on the V006 is pretty solid

What about your PSU config?

If you are running 2 PSUs, use all raisers on one PSU.
Also leave those SATA/molex connectors away, and use molex right off the PSU.

i have the EVGA 1600 T2 so i don’t need dual PSU
i am using the Molex connectors from the PSU and not the Sata/Molex connectors

1 Like

i also got a usb cable (gold contacts etc $38 lol) just to test if the usb cable is faulty like some have suggested but made no difference

Solid PSU. :tada:

Have not seen any kind of mirroring in such a case. 2 Sol/s is pretty bad. As the raisers are V6 and have solid solderings, my next guess would be the mainboard, or more specific the BIOS. Are you running the latest BIOS? I think it should be version F2 for your board.

Yes updated to F2, no changes
I think the 2Sol is a problem within the miner programming.
I forgot to change the use on the start sequence from -use 0,1,2,3,4,5 to 0,1 to test the 2 cards and the miner did show 3 gpu and mined 2sol on the 3rd, 0 on the second gpu which is/ would be the card on the riser

I see.

I just checked the BIOS options for this board.

Looks very limited. The only PCIE setting I could find was the initial display output. :confused:

yep not much of setting
i assume the setting for Gen runs on auto and as it seems that auto fails with setting the correct Gen this board is useless and will not work with risers