T addresses disappeared after trying to claim Ycash - SOLVED

This is where I would start yes. but if this doesn’t fix it, their are other things to try, like @CitricAcid said it is likely you have installed a new wallet, so maybe it is using its own local directory rather than the profile one. idk.

try the above first.

good luck, and let us know how it goes.

I’m a new user, so I can’t post more than one image in one post. Sorry for splitting up what should be one post.

Here is the current situation:

• The second T address labeled “Store”:

So the explorer shows that I’ve transfered all of my zecs from “Mining” to “Store” address.

The ZecWallet also shows the same:

What confuses me is that the YecWallet shows the “Mining” address holding the same amount of yecs:

If I export the private key from YecWallet of this address I basically end up with the same private key that I have in backup for the “Mining” address, which meants that the “Mining” zec address and the new yec address are the same…
I’d expect that YecWallet would show the “Store” address, not the “Mining” address.

Where did the “Store” address that obviously holds my zecs disappear?

This does seem confusing. I have no idea. I have heard other people say similar things. I had no involvement with the yec fork and no idea about the wallet. (in fact I think I know why it happens but and is due to how keys are derived, just a guess and i don’t want to speculate - there could be several reasons for it, YEC might be the best people to ask.)

what I do know is that if you export the private key for that YEC address, the one with a balance and import it into you zcash wallet your ZEC will appear after a rescan.

You might want to reimport your other privkey too in case you have more payments from the pool being sent there.

You are confusing labels with addresses. - “Store” went no where. it is on the blockchain. it seems a wallet software issue.

Everything else seems YEC related and I don’t know about YEC. I think shawn posted their contact details above.

Make sure you have your ZEC, and your YEC and I wouldn’t worry about it, if you really need an answer I think speaking to YEC would help. but its probably a UI bug. idk.

Good luck, and let us know when you manage to get your zec back :slight_smile:
EDIT:

I bet they are not the same. I cant tell whats going on without knowing your actual addresses. and I don’t have time to look into it. so just import that privkey and rescan please

Appreciate the effort you spend to help @mistfpga

I understand that ZEC addresses and the amounts haven’t disappeared, it’s just that I can’t see them in my ZecWallet.

So I’ve extracted the private key from the only YEC address that I have and can see in my YecWallet:

After that, I’ve opened ZecWallet, File->Import private key and then pasted the key.
Then Edit->Settings->Troubleshooting and ticked the Rescan box, after which I restarted the wallet.

Hopefully, the result will be that I can see my “Store” labeled ZEC address with my zec’s in ZecWallet.
I’ll report the result.

P.S.
When I compared the extracted private key with the one I have backed up for my first, original, “Mining” labeled ZEC address, they were the same.
And I’m 100% sure they are, because I’ve opened the backed up file with the keys in notepad, ctrl-F, pasted the YEC key and it found it attached to the “Mining” labeled address.
Very strange…

There can be two causes the most likely is you didn’t create a new priv/pub key pair, just a new pubkey for the old privkey.)

or you did but sent the coins after the fork. (or they got mined after the fork.) - very very unlikely.

if it is the second. we need to think of something else.

you realise you forgot to edit the transparent balance in this image :smiley: have flagged it so hopefully a mod can remove it then you reupload if needed.

Can you tell me what block that transaction was in (the block height.)
are you sure you transferred before the fork?

Height 570000 Fri 19 Jul 2019 03:34:51 (8 days ago) Looks like you might have done it after? or it got mined after? I need the block height for the mining to store transaction.

oh, dear, I think that is what happened.

Wait for the rescan, Im not sure it will work tho. when you did EXPORT ALL PRIVATE KEYS, did you import them all??? or just one of them? did you make a backup of this before doing this? did you save those keys somewhere?

Actually, I purposefully left the 2 last digits so to be consistent with the previous posts.

The instruction to claim YEC clearly said to wait for 570000 as the first step and I did so (check my first post).

And here’s the transaction:

The rescan didn’t work.

The first time I exported my priv key was with my old wallet and that file holds my “Mining” address key among bunch of other keys of addresses I don’t recognize.

The second time I exported the priv keys is after I created the “Store” address (step 4 of the instructions to claim YEC).
I’ve then imported both priv keys into YecWallet (step 6).
Unfortunately I haven’t saved them in a file and don’t ask me why :slight_smile:

After all of this, ZecWallet showed “Mining” and “Store” address with correct amount of ZEC.
YecWallet showed new address with exact same amount of YEC.

Life was great until few days later, when new ZecWallet version (v0.7.6) came out. I installed it over the existing one thinking that’s the way to upgrade it.
From that moment on, I can’t see any of my ZEC addresses anymore.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

These are the default change addresses, import ALL of those. when you generate a new pubkey it will generally generate a new privkey to go with it. It might be worth a shot importing all of these, but try the below first. it is much more likely.

So export both keys from YEC, and import both to zecwallet, one of them has to be the zec privkey. (we know it has moved into store, look up stores address on

it should show you the associated YEC account that was created with the “store” private key, click the link, that should have 0 balance. - this is the zec priv key. fingers crossed it imported both keys to YEC wallet.

Then rescan again :slight_smile:

and let me how it goes.

If you have access to the private keys of the yec wallets, you will recover the funds in zec. If the above tips do not work, I would try to export the private keys to a different wallet (jaxx, save) that allows you to recover the zec. Then as soon as you recover you move the funds to a secure wallet of your trust.

Finally I can report that this issue has been resolved and I have regained my zec addresses and funds!

A HUGE Thank You goes out to @mistfpga who spent the last month trying to help me resolve the issue over a private thread that reached 100 messages!
He will be doing a write-up about what happened and will be filling some bug reports too.

4 Likes

No problem. I glad we worked it out. (and yes it was a lot of messages - heh. but it all helped.)

@adityapk00 I don’t know who does the MSI packaging but I have found a number of bugs.

This particular one is benign (but scary) doesn’t need data recovery, etc. - no funds are in danger at all.

However I do need to isolate if it only happens on the windows msi builds ( I suspect so ). How would you like me to proceed? write up the issue here (I used run time analysis to show the problem because my code reading sucks. my ASM is good.)?

that would be easier for me. because I can do bbcode rather than markdown.

or file a load of different bug reports on the GitHub? I am not 100% sure it is the MSI, but it looks like it, rather than zcashd itself. so maybe a ‘packing’ issue? idk.

Its interesting to say the least.

2 Likes

Whatever works for you. Writeup works for me. If you post them as bugs on github, I can follow up on them too.