Why isn't the Bitcoin community interested in zkSNARKs?

Does anyone have a thoery as to why (it seems to me) that no one in the Bitcoin community is interested in incorporating zkSNARKs, even in the much longer term?

As a related question: If zkSNARKs are incorporated into Bitcoin, does that worry any of you in regards to the future of zcash?

2 Likes

It doesn’t worry me if they are incorporated into Bitcoin. Zcash was the original and will continue to improve on this type of stuff and in the case of Bitcoin private where they actually did implement this, it will just pretty much be hype for a week then will die off after that. I believe the btc community doesn’t show interest in zkSNARKs maybe because the fear of being regulated? With all the FUD going around about regulation towards privacy coins this is a turn off for some people. I could be completely wrong. If anyone else has an opinion please chime in because I am also curious :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is the trusted setup associated with it…
For some that does not jive with the crypto is trustless mantra.

1 Like

i asked this to nullc a-while-back “why not go with SNARKs over schnorr signatures“, and here’s the copy/paste quote/answer: “because SNARKs are computationally impractical and a hundred kilobytes in size”

what i got from the convo is SNARKs would be too cumbersome for bitcoin. i wouldn’t worry about it. with that in mind, think there could be neat tools built to make the two block chains more interoperable, like XCAT for example.

1 Like

Zk-Snarks bitcoin exists, its called bitcoin private, its an extremely blatant rip off of Zcash, read the whitepaper youll see what I mean
Remember original btc cant be changed aside from forking
Edit- I know Zcash is open source but seriously read (skim at least) the whitepaper

1 Like

I think it’s just a few hundred bytes now for Zcash.

1 Like