WinZEC, Zcash4win/mac, Overwinter and Sapling: an uncertain future

That’s really great to hear @anon47418038—and the grant process will be ramping up again in 2018Q4 if you need more support from the Foundation then.

I’m also keen on the Foundation building infrastructure to streamline community crowd-funding to enable more frequent distributions of funds (e.g., “community raises 50 ZEC for xyz, Foundation matches it”) and to give the community an opportunity organize for worthy projects—I could imagine something like that would have helped too.

I hope you are feeling better and I’m thrilled to hear the community stepped up, and thanks again for chatting with @tromer and your continued contributions!

11 Likes

Good luck in your Overwinter and Sapling integration!

1 Like

yeah a more advanced crowdfunding infra/platform would be great…as someone just mentioned on twitter, its something that Monero has done a great job on…I just don’t pay much attention to that corner of the universe as I’ve gotten targeted harassment by them before, from social platform to social platform, which very much soured me on that community

2 Likes

Windows is Overwinter ready right now, the current WinZEC release is zcashd.exe 1.1.0, it was the gap between Overwinter activation and Sapling that was the giant, sucking void, which has now been filled (it was indeed as simple as “pay the man”, which the community has done).

Mac users are still going to be sentenced to Command Line Purgatory or use a different wallet…there ARE other multicoin full node GUI front ends, but they don’t all support the memo field or are closed source…we’ll see if anyone drops some ZEC into the “plz for MacZEC” addy listed above, the door on that isn’t closed, its just getting REALLY CLOSE to Overwinter activation.

1 Like

My long call with Tromer last night cleared up a LOT of things on both sides, mine and (someone on) the Foundation’s board.

3 Likes

A random thought… how about a list of projects/things that we’d like to have and a bounty/award from Foundation each month for stuff thats produced?

Suggest some conditions, must be licenced as free for all, open source on github, awards solely at Foundations discretion etc.

Obviously the large & hairy projects need to be done properly and may be too hairy for this kind of approach - but for small stuff and to fuel community involvement it could work well.

1 Like

Yeah, I was referring to possible issues when Overwinter activates.

I like this idea!..although I have a slight preference for making these stipulations as part of a matching program. The main reason is the overhead involved in reporting requirements as a US-based non-profit. For small bounties it may not make sense for the Foundation to do so because we’d need to identify contributors/send 1099s etc.—but that wouldn’t strictly apply to community-based funding (AFAIK). Then we could match the bigger projects with Foundation funding that carries these requirements at the discretion of the project owners (this reasoning echoes a post I made here).

3 Likes

Maybe it’s just me but there is no way I’m running a full node on my Mac :scream: so maybe there simply isn’t demand there?

Absolutely fantastic news about the donation and continued support :+1:

Here is your Mac full node!

Has tools to build stock zcash 1.1.1 source with apple’s latest clang compiler suite (the command line only portions of Xcode), also works with gcc, nice binary releases on that page too.

So there is an excellent command line full node for macOS

1 Like

Glad to hear that @anon47418038, keep up the good work!

1 Like

Just got the Jimmy Song Bitcoin Tech Talk Newsletter Issue #90 - June 25, 2018 in my email and what to see:

• ZCash Dev Threatens to Split Network

These are not good news and headlines and should be avoided whenever possible.

I went to the whole topic and readed it and my personal opinion is that such things should not happen at all and even less get that far.

I really hope Zcash gets better organised for such issues and i’am pretty sure there must be a lot of options for exactly such developements/cases.

And as a sidenote, a wallet is a really huge issue. So far i have installed and tested about 200+ desktop wallets and for sure a bad one let’s you immediatly forget about the project and a good windows wallet is something very important that seems to be totally underestiminated by many projects/coins for whatever reason. Seriously, if a project wants the average Joe to be able to use a given Crypto than it has to begin with an easy, working, smooth, usable, windows wallet.

Eventually it’s time for Zcash to re-organize it’s structure to be able to make faster decisions and/or funding for important issues/cases. I like the idea @Tonic1080 posted and a “dedicated analyst/product manager” or something similar makes perfect sense in my opinion

2 Likes

So how do lawyers win an argument if they lose when citing legal precedent? This statement is absurd.