Zcash and Jaxx Announce ZEC approved and live on iOS Appstore

Toronto, ON – April 12, 2017 – Today marks another historic day for Zcash as the privacy-oriented cryptocurrency announces its approval on the App Store via Jaxx’s iOS platform.

The team behind Zcash includes some of the leading scientists behind the advanced zero-knowledge technology used in the protocol. Together with expert engineers, they are continuously researching and developing improvements to the infrastructure and usability for users and third-party services like Jaxx.

Zooko Wilcox, CEO of the company behind Zcash development, Zerocoin Electric Coin Company, said, “Jaxx is a very simple, easy-to-use wallet and the team behind it has been a pleasure to work with. I’m delighted that thanks to them, hundreds of millions of iPhone users can, for the first time send and receive Zcash from their phones.”

Jaxx was the first wallet to integrate Zcash following its mainnet launch on October 28, 2016, and is thrilled to now have Zcash available on its iOS platform. Apple has a rigorous approval process, especially for allowing cryptocurrencies onto the App Store, and their approval is a clear indication that Zcash is a fast growing and well respected technology.

Anthony Diiorio, CEO of Jaxx, said, “The privacy aspect of their technology meshes really well with Jaxx’s philosophies. We’ve been working on a Zcash-integrated iOS version for a long time and we’re over the moon that Zcash has been approved on the App Store.”

Jaxx also confirmed today that they are in talks with Zcash on the possibility of supporting ZEC shielded addresses. Currently, Jaxx supports transparent addresses which behave similarly to Bitcoin, publishing transaction data publicly to the blockchain. While the mere use of shielded addresses by others provide greater privacy for transparent addresses compared to Bitcoin, official support for shielded addresses in Jaxx will significantly enhance capabilities for users.

“Zcash is a very well run project and it’s been an absolute pleasure to work with Zooko and team. We look forward to continuous collaboration between our two projects, especially for when we implement Zcash’s shielded addresses,” said Diiorio.

In addition to being integrated on all of Jaxx’s platforms, Zcash also announced its integration on a second wallet, SmartWallet, a Brazilian money application.

Jaxx’s iOS version with Zcash is now available for download via jaxx.io or on the Apple App Store.

Zcash CEO Zooko Wilcox and Jaxx CEO Anthony Diiorio are available for interview.

About Zcash:

The Zcash Company is a science-driven team; a combination of academic expertise in computer science and cryptography with security software engineering talent. We are developing the next generation of secure digital currency and blockchain technology through the use of zero-knowledge proofs, to guarantee privacy and confidentiality. We aim to set a new standard for privacy. The Zcash protocol is a decentralized and open-source cryptocurrency offering total payment confidentiality. Unlike Bitcoin, Zcash transactions automatically hide the sender, recipient, and value of all transactions on the blockchain. It is based on peer-reviewed cryptographic research, and built by a world-class, security-focused engineering team. However, as with any new technology, there is risk involved. Currently the team is focused on building and maintaining an open, permissionless system that is viable, robust, and justifiably reliable and secure for users.

About Jaxx:

Jaxx is a multi-token blockchain wallet that provides a unified experience across 9 platforms and devices, including Windows, Apple and Linux desktops, Apple and Android mobile devices and tablets, as well as Google Chrome and Firefox extensions. The Jaxx wallet enables crypto-to-crypto exchange with frictionless in-wallet conversion via Shapeshift. Users are always in control of their keys and Jaxx neither holds nor has access to customer funds. Design and user experience driven, and built with simplicity in mind, Jaxx’s mission is to become the interface to the blockchain world.

To learn more, visit jaxx.io

Jaxx Press Contact

Annie Lee

10 Likes

That’s great but I personally still having issues with it so I’m moving out Jaxx and going to use the core. Overall great idea, but poor implementation. Slow loading, missing transactions, sometimes sending doesn’t work at all.

1 Like

This is great! Now whenever I’m telling someone about Zcash and they pull an iPhone out of their pocket, and I can zap them a few milliZECs in just a couple of minutes!

5 Likes

Could be many reasons you’re having issues. Usually to do with either mining (not recommend) , old device, or Internet connections issues. V1. 2 is much improved and just recently released.

2 Likes

Works perfectly in iOS. Thanks!

1 Like

I tried using in on both 8-core Ryzen 1800X and 8-Core ARM phone. That’s true my wallet was used for mining and yes, I know you don’t recommend it for it, still if you do large amount of transactions from your wallet sooner or later you’ll encounter the same problem.

So both the desktop and the mobile app becomes unresponsible after certain operation. The balance quite often doesn’t show the actual amount you hold, and even when you press “refresh” it seems that nothing happens. After the new app update all my transaction history disappeared. Right now I can see only a single transaction for the amount of 0.0. I also tried unsuccessfully to transfer all the Zcash I had out of it. Any amount higher than 1 ZEC was failing, and I was unable to move out last 0.5 ZEC at all. Jaxx says “transaction sent” but then you realize nothing actually happened, there’s no indication there was actually an error, and the balance is wrongly updated.

Don’t misunderstand me, I like Jaxx and I’ll probably start using it again in future, but it’s unusable for me in its current state, and I had a high hope this update will actually fix those issues.

The best thing I actually like Jaxx for is that it gives you access to your private keys, so I was able import them in Zcash core and finally manage to transfer the funds. But all this journey took me a day.

1 Like

I could be wrong. I’m far away from properly understanding how Zcash works, but I believe the main issues comes from the fact Jaxx is using only t-addresses. If you make an option the user to be able to consolidate his current funds from the t-address transactions to a z-address this may help to fix those issues.

1 Like

I can’t withdraw my zcash in Jaxx wallet these few days, is it down again?

1 Like

Be careful with JAXX. I just lost $400 USD worth of ZEC with that app.

Even before the ‘disappearing money’ incident today, it would behave very strangely. Sometimes Shapeshift txns wouldn’t go through. Sometimes when I open the app the entire screen is black and remains that way – entirely unresponsive to user input.

In case it helps: I’m running the latest version of the app on an up-to-date iOS on an iPhone SE.

$400 isn’t the end of the world and it won’t ruin my day. But I think it’s important that I let people know about this.

IMHO iPhone users should avoid JAXX.

UPDATE: The coins aren’t lost or stolen. I can see them sitting there on the blockchain, unmoved. So that’s good news. They simply aren’t showing up in the JAXX app. I suspect I’ll be able to get these coins back by exporting the private keys out of the JAXX app and importing them into another zcash wallet.

So the coins aren’t stolen, and they haven’t been sent to an address that I don’t control. I still don’t recommend JAXX at the moment. I don’t think it’s production ready for zcash. But I also don’t want to alarm anyone and have them think that JAXX steals or burns coins, because that’s not the case.

Hey there Austin. I can happily look into this via our support system. No
one we know up as ever lost funds Jaxx. Have you submitted a support
request?

2 Likes

Two days ago, I was trying to send some zcash into my poloniex and the transaction kept on failing.
Then today I came up to see my wallet with 0 balance and no transaction has taken place
the amount at poloniex didn’t change either. Is there an issue?

I did and nothing happened, it still appears zero.

Yeah, I’m trying to check out whats going on. I suppose it has something to do with the zcash blockchain error a few days ago.

Hi Mr. Diiorio,

I’ve been hacked and working with Jaxx support, Changelly and the RCMP. My Jaxx wallet was hacked and the four digit pin was brute forced to the point that i cannot pull out the reamining 7.97 ETC left in that wallet.

The hacker got away with 654 ETH, 2907 ETC and 225 ZEC.

No one seems to be able to do anything. I have wallet addresses and changelly has the IP addresses of the hacker and even his/her email but they are reluctant to cooperate with myself of the RCMP.

Please help. This is all i have/had.

Mark

I need help! JAXX doesn´t work! I´m not able to send Zcash - neither on my phone (iOS) nor Windows wallet or Chrome extension . After clicking button “CONFIRM” nothing happens… What´s the problem?
Furthermore: JAXX doesn´t sync the actual price in USD or EUR and does not sync the history of my transactions! What´s wrong with JAXX?

It was truly the most sickening morning of my life. It was all I had and there doesn’t seem to be any recourse or anything anyone can do? Please reply with suggestions. I have the trail of wallets where things are located. All the ETH got converted to btc and are getting spread out quite a bit.

:frowning:

Mark

@GPU_Mining: Thank you! I´ve tried it many times now, but it always stucks at “initializing wallet” for more than a hour. :frowning: I want to send all my coins from JAXX to other wallets because there are only problems with jaxx! But I do not have access to my coins, because jaxx does not work!

I thought jaxx wallet was a hardware wallet. It got hacked somehow even with a “security pin”. Jaxx wallet COO called me personally to tell me “That sucks” & “I’d never hold that much in a jaxx wallet”.

I have ordered a ledger nano S and expect it this week. I will rebuild but the hill is much steeper this time around.

Babs42

I thought jaxx wallet was a hardware wallet. It got hacked somehow even with a “security pin”. Jaxx wallet COO called me personally to tell me “That sucks” & “I’d never hold that much in a jaxx wallet”.

I have ordered a ledger nano S and expect it this week. I will rebuild but the hill is much steeper this time around.

Babs42

@GPU_Mining: Thank you so much! JAXX really sucks!! I´ve tried everything, but it doesn´t work on iOS, Chrome-Extension, Firefox, Windows and Mac… However, importing private keys into Zcash4Win was a good idea and it works for me. But isn´t it dangerous to import a private key? See here: How to import private keys - Bitcoin Wiki (it´s for bitcoin, but is ist dangerous for Zcash too?)