Zcash Community Forum Moderation Changes

Hey Shawn,

when you got elected, I offered to help you out with forum moderation stuff.

I know the forums pretty well and would like to help moderate and organise this place. We use it for project direction and governance so imho its an important space we need to keep welcoming, inclusive, open to all and their ideas.

6 Likes

Putting my hat in the ring as someone who enjoys a good debate and as an ardent supporter of building and decentralizing the community past it’s inner circles.

2 Likes

So looks like we have 4 so far.

In the original post forgot to put a deadline for applicants, would one week be good? We can post the poll next Sunday for voting.

Also, please don’t start new threads to start campaigning I’m sure the forum members are familiar with everyone.

3 Likes

Can we have some kind of voting restriction please. Forum status must be level 2 member (one down from regular) and 6 months old would seem good to me.

Trust Level 2 — Member

Trust Level 2 — Member

Members keep coming back to your community over a series of weeks; they have not only read, but actively participated long and consistently enough to be trusted with full citizenship.

Get to trust level 2 by…

• Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
  • Casting at least 1 like
  • Receiving at least 1 like
  • Replying to at least 3 different topics
  • Entering at least 20 topics
  • Reading at least 100 posts
  • Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

I cant rig this election due to the sock puppet rule, so I just want to make sure no one else can either.

Polls can be limited by account trust level at creation, but not account age.

We can make the poll limited by trust level and if I see any evidence of ballot stuffing (ie: a bunch of new accounts created & voting) then I will have to manually go through and toss out votes based on accounts age.

Relatedly, ECC has created its own Code of Conduct for ECC employees. We’ve made it available here: ECC Code of Conduct - Electric Coin Company.

4 Likes

I added this information to the last post of the Zcash Contributor CoC thread.

1 Like

For the sake of decentralization, I would advise against moderating two Z cash communities. Please drop out :slight_smile:

For the zpl,
James

I voluntarily offer to help, anywhere there is need.

It’s up to community vote to decide :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the community moderators take a big part in constructing the community, itself.

For example, this very forum was created by Shawn and now he is a paid moderator, which enabled him to win the community’s pre-approval to conduct yet another subset of the community, the MGRC, where they await orders from ZF (his employer)

With such a small and friendly community, this type of inbreeding goes without notice (It’s in our nature to avert losses, preserve power, and avoid confrontation).

Just like I suggested that MGRC members should resign for the sake of planting ideological diversity into our community and promote decentralization (new people invite new people), I will also ask you to drop.

Please don’t take it personally

For the zpl,
James

This is not correct. The forums were created by the ECC and were later transferred to the Zcash Foundation.

That statement is incorrect and intentionally misleading. I didn’t start this forum, I started as a volunteer moderator and served as a volunteer for years before the ZF took it over and decided to pay me for the work.

I suspect that people voted for me not solely based on my position as a mod but for what I have done to support community for the past four years. Since you were not here at the time I will cover some of my history for you:

• I started the very first Zcash news and tutorial website: minezcash.com back during the Zcash Beta.
  • I built zcashcommunity.com and wrote all the tutorials, history, development information, exchanges, pay-with-zcash page, etc…
  • I volunteered to help moderate here when things got busy because the ECC didn’t have the bandwidth.
  • I created and hosted the very first Zcash chat chat.zcashcommunity.com , which was later migrated to Discord.
  • I have been helping users troubleshoot stuck nodes, recover lost Zcash, and debunk FUD posted against Zcash on other platforms like Reddit, Telegram, and Twitter for years

I did all of the above for one reason: to help the Zcash ecosystem and community grow. For free.

So @jmsjsph , based on my experience, if you want to gain the confidence and support of the community you should probably focus on building it up and contributing to helping its users instead of trying to undermine confidence in people like @anon16456014 who volunteer to help make it better.

13 Likes

Cross-posting so it’s visible in the relevant thread:

3 Likes

Please select individuals who have been with Zcash for a while & have already done work for Zcash.

I will be posting the poll tomorrow, everyone can vote for whomever they feel would be a good Mod.

1 Like

I think we should start using the leader flag in discourse then try to promote mods from that pool.

1 Like

Cross-posting:

1 Like

Curious:

What would existing/prior moderators estimate the time commitment required to be?

Can the duties be chiefly reactive – for example, being called to posts that are flagged? Or is most of the effort deployed proactively – staying atop most active threads & preemptively speaking to posters or moving/visibility-adjusting posts?

How often are moderators expected to move unilaterally, versus discussing any difficult cases with other moderators?

4 Likes

I think a good description is in the discourse trust levels.

moderators should be one up from leaders, so i think it is the second option with community building involved.

1 Like

Poll is up: Poll 📊 Vote for Community Mods