ZCash Desktop GUI Wallet on MAC OS X

@anon47418038 here is another push, referenced your issue too

thanks! thatā€™s a big help

Okay, it sounds like the next step is for the company to set up a Mac OS X buildslave and hook it up to our CI system. Iā€™ll open a ticket with the company-internal infrastructure team.

ā€¦

Okay, I opened the ticket. Iā€™ll let you know what happens next.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! Windows is in a similar boat, but with a slightly different set of challenges. Its cross compiled, so it needs a linux builder (which you guys of course have :slight_smile: ) but then it needs a Windows VM to run tests onā€¦and I need to get the gtests working again on Windows, as something along the way broke the test suiteā€™s linking as zcashd was made to finally work :frowning:

1 Like

Okay I opened an internal ticket in the Zcash Company to set up Windows CI infrastructure. Iā€™ll let you know wen we make progress on it (or close it with wontfix or whatever).

1 Like

awesome, as always if there are any questions by zcashco engineers about issues getting it going Iā€™m available to answer them and lend a hand

Hey @anon47418038 - sent a tiny ZCL donation to you a few mins ago - unfortunately I donā€™t have much crypto around. Maybe other Mac users should do the same too?

Would be great if we get support from ZcashCo on the Mac platform. I ceased mining with the MacBook Pro but that machine is my workhorse and a Mac client is very convenient. I was still OK with 1.0.4 but the vulnerability announcement made me a bit concerned. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

thanks, working on getting 1.0.8-1 out for mac right now!

Seriously, the QA required for this kind of development is staggering and Apple makes CI for OS X a real PITA. Itā€™s not asking much for Mac users to step up and fund a build bot.

@anon47418038 Have you considered selling binaries of the GUI client for $5? The source should, of course, always be available for those too cheap to pay for the GUI client. But itā€™s totally reasonable for users to help defer the costs of development, especially if that incentivises development.

2 Likes

CI on Mac is especially problematic, as virtual machine providers with apple hardware donā€™t just grow on trees, and are expensive (as is having oneā€™s own hardware for it). ZcashCo now have a ticket opened by Zooko to setup Mac CI, but I have no idea if/when thatā€™ll happen, and if Iā€™ll have write access to it.

And it sucks to have to be doing all Mac development and testing on my 2012 macbook :frowning:

Greater awareness & donations would help. Is the zCash Foundation incentivising this kind of development activities?

not right now, they are still getting themselves figured out

maybe I need to run a donation drive for mac and windows hardware!

2 Likes

For mac you can rent from https://www.macincloud.com/ or hook up a hackintosh. For win you can use virtualbox on any os. So itā€™s not a matter of cash funding. Itā€™s a matter of creativity with your own hardware.

We could use ReactOS for Windows builds :laughing:. Itā€™s self-hosting using VisualBasic and everything!

I have access to Windows test VMā€™s in the cloud, as does ZcashCo, its a matter of getting it all hooked up to their (or my own) CI plumbing