ZCash Desktop GUI Wallet

oh I know, but I’ve interacted with you and @zooko for sooooo many years on different mailing lists, I think I have a handle on how strong of an ethical core you both have, which is largely why I’m involved in this project :heart:

1 Like

Hello all, a stupid question maybe but is there a way to make the zCash Desktop GUI wallet co-exist on the same machine with the zClassic version of the wallet? zcashd (for zCash) runs properly on port 8232, I’m able to bind zcashd (for zClassic) to a different port, but seems that the packaged jar file expects to bind to RPC port 8232. Maybe @vaklinov would know?

Sorry if this is off-topic. And thanks.

The ZCash Desktop GUI wallet uses zcash-cli to connect to the running zcashd. It does not pass any port/host parameters to zcash-cli however so the default port is used. You may work around this by replacing zcash-cli with a shell script that calls the real zcash-cli with parameters…

1 Like

Thanks a lot. I can confirm that creating a zcash-cli.sh script in the same working directory as ZClassicSwingWalletUI.jar worked perfectly.

Content of the script:
zcash-cli -rpcuser=obfuscated -rpcpassword=obfuscated -rpcport=8242

I then normally launch the wallet using:
java -jar ZClassicSwingWalletUI.jar

Going to send some ZCL now to see if it behaves properly. Both wallets (ZEC and ZCL) running side by side without issues :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@anon47418038. Again, thanks for creating this, no doubt it’s many many hours of work. I’m just wondering if you have an idea of when the next version will be ready to beta? Thanks.

UNEXPECTED ERROR OCCURRED WHEN SENDING ZCASH.

Hello dear Members,
I’ve just joined the forum after installed ZCash on my Laptop (Toshiba L750, CPU IntelCore i7, GPU NVIDIA GeForce 2GB, 8 GB RAM). I have Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit and I got yesterday my first Zcash mined!

I’m using the SwingWallet GUI and I wanted to send the mined ZCash from the public address to one private address created, but unfortunately I got the message shown in the attached picture.
Can you please help me??? What’s wrong here?ERROR

Thanks!

1 Like

The error is strange: Some points to check:

1. Please specify which version of ZCash you have installed and whether you compiled from source or used some binary distribution.
  2. Please check that you are not connected to the test-net (my suspicion). Your file ~/.zcash/zcash.conf needs to have a setting addnode=mainnet.z.cash -
    not testnet
  3. Did you mine a block on the main-net? - then you are very lucky or you have high hash power :wink:
  4. If all seems OK please start teh GUI wallet from a terminal and attach the log, also attach a screen-shot of the “Send cash” TAB just before you click send…
2 Likes

I hope to have 1.0.7-1 of zcash4win beta out today

1 Like

Thanks, Vaklinov :slight_smile:

To your questions:

1. Please specify which version of ZCash you have installed and whether
    you compiled from source or used some binary distribution.
  2. Please check that you are not connected to the test-net (my suspicion). Your file ~/.zcash/zcash.conf needs to have a setting addnode=mainnet.z.cash -
    not testnet
  3. Did you mine a block on the main-net? - then you are very lucky or you have high hash power …

If all seems OK please start teh GUI wallet from a terminal and attach
the log, also attach a screen-shot of the “Send cash” TAB just before
you click send…

1. Since yesterday it appears to me on the terminal, if I digit auritianus@LAPTOP ~/zcash $ ./src/zcash-cli getinfo

“errors”: “Action required: testnet will upgrade at block 53127. Upgrade to Zcash 1.0.7 to avoid being left on a chain fork. Download: Download Zcash | Zcash

I’m using the installed version shown on the website https://cryptocompare.com.

1. Now you make me think that the mined cashes are from the testnet… Let’s see. :sweat:

2. the file zcash.conf was setted on the testnet… How can I measure my hash power? :slight_smile:

3. There is still the same error… :disappointed_relieved:

It makes no sense to use the test-net if you wish your coins to have value. Test-net coins have no value. This guide describes how to set up ZCash on main-net:

I was singing victory too early…

Folks, a small reminder to drop some ZEC into vaklinov’s donation jar:
t1UMGjLDipdfuCdNwxUZTV4FhM34FJXgM8r

It’s listed on his Github page: GitHub - vaklinov/zcash-swing-wallet-ui: DEPRECATED: not to be used! - Desktop GUI Wallet for ZCash

There have been five donations so far, but they are yet to total a whole single ZEC.

P.S. I don’t get any commission :slight_smile: But the man deserves some tokens of appreciation
Tearo.

4 Likes

Just to keep the crew updated, the dev is supporting the entire ecosystem. Java codebase has been ported and released for Zclassic, and Zero Currency community has been helping him to port and corfirm the changes. Aiming to validate on both Ubuntu and Windows 10 and will get back to it, once the security patch is pushed out.
Also, I must compliment radix42 for producing and maintaining Windows and Zclassic versions, and would like to help out to extend those to Zero.
Wth better DevOps procedures and externalized dependencies, we can make the process simple and eliminate some of this bifurcation. Zcash has a Portability project planned, so what’s the right forum to discuss these improvements?
Tearo

2 Likes

Hey guys, i cant send zec from poloniex account to my gui wallet, any ideas why ?

Could you please clarify the “can’t send” part:

1. Does Poloniex claim to have sent the SEC?
  2. Do you see your transaction in https://explorer.zcha.in/ ?
  3. Has the GUI wallet synchronized the blockchain 100% (see lower right corner of the GUI) ?
    If a all three answers are Yes - you ought to see the cash in the GUI wallet…
2 Likes

@vaklinov , thanks for your answer !
In Poloniex shows that the address is invalid. Here is the address tmRobxFFsNBNf5JNqDAB5Gh5m9t3RWM7Lc7
My wallet is 100% synchroniezd. May be poloniex doesnt supprt t-address ?

1 Like

This is a test net address! You need to connect to the main net and re-synchronize…

Interesting how I did this. I followed cryptocompare tutorials. However, could you please tell me how to connect with the main net?

In your case I think it is better to follow the official guide and do a completely new ZCash installation.

1 Like

Hey @vaklinov have a problem where I imported some old private keys into my main wallet using the gui, Transactions made months ago are listed as today’s date under the transactions list. Is that because it’s using the date they were first seen by the wallet? Pretty trivial but is there a way i can fix. Thanks very much!

1 Like