The following email was first sent to our general mailing list, which you can sign up for here: https://lists.z.cash.foundation/mailman/listinfo/general
Hello everyone! Happy Labor Day / International Workers’ Day to all of you. If you had a long weekend, I hope you enjoyed it.
August was a heads-down month for the Zcash Foundation, so this update will be on the shorter side. Three items from previous months that are still in progress, moving forward but not finished:
- Technical hiring.
- Website overhaul.
- Finalizing the grants.
Speaking of those last two, we have a handy grants page now: https://z.cash.foundation/grants/
While you’re at it, sign up for our new proper newsletter: https://buttondown.email/zcashfoundation
(I don’t plan to replicate content between this list and that one. And don’t worry, we’ll have our own URL for the newsletter archives before long. I didn’t want to wait to start gathering contact info, since email is such a powerful marketing channel.)
Meanwhile, Antonie has been preparing the financial audit of 2017. She has also undertaken early planning for Zcon1. We’re not ready to announce concrete details, but potential attendees will get much more advance notice this year.
I’ve been primarily focused on meetups, collaborating with @paige from the Zcash Company. I got to meet the New York and Sacramento volunteers in person this month, which was illuminating.
- If you’re in LA, go hang out and talk about Sapling on the 22nd: https://www.meetup.com/lazcash/events/254133917/
- And if you’re near Boston, go to the Sapling activation party that @NealJayu is hosting in October! https://www.meetup.com/Boston-Zcash-Users-Group/events/253859408/
Paige and I hope to get more Sapling activation parties rolling.
We’ve written an in-depth guide for organizers that is almost ready to publish. It’s just waiting on a couple of design elements.
Some miscellaneous items:
- A discussion of Bitmain’s transparency policy, and whether it’s good enough, on the forum: Bitmain’s transparency policy over Zcash ASICs ended after just one month, and nobody even noticed
- “Decentralized funding? An analysis of three programs” by Nadia Eghbal, which includes the Zcash Foundation: https://nadiaeghbal.com/grant-programs
- BOLT! https://twitter.com/ja_akinyele/status/1029550602404200454
- The Foundation helped sponsor the Zero Knowledge Summit, which is happening this week in Berlin: http://www.zeroknowledge.fm/summit
As usual, please let me know if you have any questions.