Zcashd miner shows 0 Sols/s

Is it normal for a miner to run for a couple of hours with a Sols/s rate of 0? Granted, it is only an old workstation doing CPU mining but still I was expecting a non-zero value. The image below shows only a few minutes of runtime but I did leave it running for a couple of hours yesterday - only the validated transactions number was growing. Wondering if I am missing something basic in the settings or just being impatient.

1 Like

The miner won’t actually be running at that point, as it waits while you are still synchronising the blockchain (current height is over 82,000). Once your local chain is up-to-date, the miner will start. The reason this isn’t reflected in the UI is that I implemented the simplest thing possible for the 1.0.0 launch, which was num_solutions_found/time_since_start. A more accurate metric would be to wait until the miner actually starts for the first time before starting the timer and rendering anything - see Metrics screen gives no feedback that mining is suspended while updating chain · Issue #2139 · zcash/zcash · GitHub.

3 Likes