Zcash's current performance issues are frustrating

ALL I WANT ARE MY F#CKING COINS BACK PLEASE GIVE A UPDATE THAT WILL LET PEOPLE RECOVER AND DUMP THIS WALLET PLEASE SOMETHING THAT WORKS MY SH!T WORKED FINE WITH Zecwallet.Fullnode-1.7.8-win NOW IM F#CKED AND IM MEAN F#CKED I HAVE A 100% CLONE OF THE HARD DRIVE WHILE THE WALLET WORKED

2 Likes

And they dont give a hoot. Same issue for 6 months I have been trying to get my assets from this junk project. I have my wallet.dat & my backed up keys & 2 of the keys crashes Lite Node.
I had to order a 1TB SSD & 16 GB more RAM just to install & load a Ubuntu Node FOR IT TO NOT WORK.
I finally got it running & synced after 4 days & tried to import 1 of the 2 keys & says it cant connect to server but it can give me a balance of 0/
It is so slow it takes days to do what should take a couple of days at most.
ZCASH ZEC NO ONE is going to go through this. THE PUBLIC will never do this.
Fix your junk

1 Like

If you need help, try “asking nicely”

:popcorn:

3 Likes

I think you are missing the dozens of other posts asking nicely & being ignored

Thats usually when people start growing short with a failed developer & project that has been broke for over 6 months & no one has done or said anything but block the people who are screwed

1 Like
  • The public isn’t expected to run a full node. It used to be easy, but unfortunately it has become … “more challenging”.

• The number of shielded transaction output got x1000 or more. When the node reports 96% complete, it is really more like 1%. It’s basically hitting a roadblock.

• Wallets allow the creation of shielded addresses as if they are “free”. But now with the increase in workload, each address adds up. If it takes 1 day to scan one address, it takes 5 days to scan 5 addresses. Unfortunately again, some users have created hundreds of shielded addresses, and even thousands. For these users, recovering will be “quite difficult”.

4 Likes

Exactly… it used to be, run an installer & open

Now its a disaster

My backup had 4 z addresses. 2 loaded in the Lite version & I got those funds. The other 2 crash every wallet EVEN THE FULL NODE IN LINUX!!!

So I need either the ZecWallet full node to fix itself or I need to import the wallet.dat

Any “help” is appreciated

And the average public should not be expected to deal with this ZCASH

TYIA

Are the 2 failing zaddrs sapling or sprout? Also what version of zcashd did you attempt to load them with and what is the resources(e.g. RAM,CPU etc) on this machine?

For the other 2 keys stuck in wallet.dat,

• start zcashd with a new datadir and empty conf, it will create a new wallet.dat and start downloading from block 0,
  • stop it asap. (Ctrl-C).
  • replace with the real wallet.dat
  • restart zcashd
  • connect with zcash-cli and export the secret key
  • put that secret key into a light wallet
  • profit
2 Likes

TBH i dont know sapling or sprout. I know I have a backup done at the same exact time with 4 addresses. 2 will crash any wallet
Zecwallet - v1.7.8 was working until a few weeks ago but will not any longer.
v1.8.0 - 1.8.3 never worked = cant startup zcashd
Ubuntu is v5.2.0 fully updated & upgraded
i5 processor had 16GB RAM = 16GB arriving today = will be 32 total
1TB SSD with 650 GB free after full ZCash sync
TY again

The approach from @hanh might work but I have not personally tried this fwiw. There is a patch to address the OOM issues that might be causing some of these issues on very old wallets but that won’t be in until v5.3.0

1 Like

Any tips on the commands or how to do that in Ubuntu from a Win 10 OS would be appreciated!!
TYIA

Just copy the real wallet.dat file over the new one.

1 Like

And I’ll admit… I am a miner of the Z9 mini days. I bet those addresses are quite old!?

I have supported this project from very early on

It is why I am so upset at the LACK OF to this issue

Its not like its broke for 6 weeks… this is over 6+ months & very very little commented

TY ALL

1 Like

AFAIK, it’s “broken” since the end of June. Have you had issues earlier?

It might be helpful to reload that real wallet after the restart with

zcashd --wallet=path to your wallet.dat file

I’m not sure what security requirements on this rig but the alternative is copying over the wallet.dat to the temporary fake one.

1 Like

ZecWallet full node v1.7.8 was the last working until a couple weeks ago

It shut down in front of me. I went to restart it & it hasn’t ever since.

It cant start zcashd & I promise you, there are posts showing it is not starting zcashd like it used to in windows.

If you use the fresh zcash.config with the load parmas per the steps… it cant any longer.

Test it ? It creates the folder, it creates the file… but it never downloads. Stays 0kb. I’ve let it run for days just to see if it was slow… its not finishing. But luckily, I have them already dated 2019

Thanks again

Well - you don’t need to have it download anything. You just want to be able to access the wallet file to extract the secret key. So as long as zcash-cli works, you are good to go.

You’re using win 10 with ubuntu WSL?

1 Like

TY I will test your path command shortly. I like this option & hope it works!!

I am waiting on the RAM to arrive.

Yes sir WIN 10 Pro OS w/ Ubuntu for Windows

I never tried that but AFAIK, it’s not officially supported. It’s probably easier to run it under docker.