Asus Prime-Z270-A cannot get more then 4 GPUs

Greetings fellow miners
Bonus for that guy that can help me out here. I will work hard for you for days and mine what ever you want !
I am that desperate and totally stucked here in my mine.

I have like many others similar spec.:

• MoBo Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming (Having 7 slots in total)
  • 3900 CPU - standard fan
  • SSD 128 GB Kingston
  • 8 Gb Ram 2400 speed DDR4
  • Win 10
  • Risers with power
  • PSU 1000W Corsair 1000i

I can only get 2 running stabile. When I have 4 running my PC will crash when doing the Nicehash benchmark (done that 3 times now).

Bios tweek:
Using Gen2 on all places(4) I can find in Bios
After 3 of the GPUs are installed I enable 4G decoding.

please help a follow miner in deep troubles - Girl friend is getting upset because I did promise her we will earn big time :slight_smile:

Regards - Tinus

1 Like

try booting from this linux image https://ba.net/zcashminingos/

THx Banet
I got it up and running 4 hours after my first post. But it is turn out to be unstable I will try your solution. Really kind of you.

We run and build a lot of Z270-a builds. These are the exact settings we use:

• Advanced > System Agent (SA) Configuration > DMI/OPI Configuration > DMI Max Link Speed: Gen1
  • Advanced > System Agent (SA) Configuration > PEG Port Configuration > All PCIEX16_x to : Gen1
  • Advanced > PCH Storage Configuration > All SATA devices that do NOT have an SSD set to: Disabled
  • Advanced > PCH Configuration > PCI Express Configuration > PCIe Speed set to: Gen1
  • Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration > HD Audio Controller: Disabled
  • Advanced > APM Configuration > Restore AC Power Loss: Power On (optional. this is for hard crashes or power interruption reboots once mining)
  • Boot > Fast Boot: Disabled
  • Boot > Above 4G Decoding: Enabled

For all the BIOS and Win 10 settings check the build list to see if it’s similar and go to Part 3… 6 GPU Mining Rig Build

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

Asus Z270 only supports up to 7 GPUs for some reason. Go with Asus Prime H270-Plus if you could, it supports 8-GPU/Windows 10 with ease and no problems.
Check out my guide if you would https://www.amazon.com/Step-Guide-ZCash-Mining-Rig-ebook/dp/B078T162WX/

1 Like

This guide will save you lots of money and time from over spending on hardware…

Did you install Windows 10 with UEIF mode?
What GPUs do you use? Nvidia?
Intel Celeron CPU, SSD 60G, and 4Gb DDR4 Ram are sufficient for mining rig, don’t overspend if you could.

My z270a supports 8 cards just fine with settings similar to what gravelshost has mentioned. I think i have mine set to Gen 2 PCI.

Many thanks.
To disable fast boot allowed me to use the 7th GPU.

Nice. Glad it all came together for you!

Glad you fixed it! Just for future readers: the main trick is to try disabling as much resources from the BIOS while always consider the load on your PSU(s).

Quite common issue, which I also run into, if you have a M2 ssd drive, it often occupy 1x PCI slot on most MBs. On many with 6x slots, it seems 5 and 6 are mirrored to 1 and 2, that is max 4 at the same time you can involve :frowning: etc. etc.

I have Z370-E at 1st would only see 3 cards after I fallowed instructions in the video and made 2,3 reboots with complete drain of power it sees the 4th card, 5th in the mail will know soon.
rx580 powercolor red devils

For got to add that the Z370 - E BIOS does not have the option “PCIe spread Spectrum Clocking”

Got 5th card today works fine ruining on z370-e with the settings from the video except the PCIe spread Spectrum Clocking not in bios on this model but it works

It actually depends. You can get absolutely get more than 7 GPUs with Z270’s… Use M.2 adapters…

I just got an Asus Z270-WS and I am experiencing the following problems when trying to use 4 GPUs in the full-length PCIe ports (no raisers):

1. Everything works fine with no tweaks up to 3 GPUs. If I install a 4th GPU win10 won’t boot, I see an error at boot “keyboard not detected”.
  2. If I configure everything as per the video I can no bootup with 4 GPUs installed but Win10 only detects 2 GPUs and there’s no way to get the other 2 GPUs back.
  3. If I “lower” Gen2 to Gen1, nothing really changes, still only 2 GPUs shown in Device Manager.

My last resort will be to try and disable all other PCIe slots not being used and hope this works.

Did you set it to 64 bit gpu decoding?

Tinus, I have the same exact issue with ASUS H270-PLUS. Have you found a solution for this issue? Thanks!

I think ASUS changed the firmware and it does not not support more than 4 cards anymore. Is there a way to get back to previous BIOS?