How to Build an 8 GPU Mining Rig (works for AMD & Nvidia)

Im making 2 of these, this one here with 580 8g red devil golden samples, and another with 480 8g x-serials. Nicehash has confirmed this method works with Nvidia cards.

Specifications of the rig I build in this video:
Motherboard: Asus Z270-P
CPU: G3900 Skylake Celeron
Ram: 4GB DDR4 Mircon
GPU: 8X RX580 8G Powercolor Red Devil Golden Sample
PSU: 2X EVGA 750G2 + Dual PSU Link Cable
Risers: 7X Sata Ver007 + 1X Molex Ver006
Expansions cards: 2X M.2 PCIE 4X
Rig Frame: BlackOctane 8 GPU Rig Frame with LED RGB Fans (by cryptomined.com)

Any of these Motherboards should work:

Asus Z270-P

Asus Z270-A

Asus Z270-AR

Asus H270-Plus

Asus Strixx Z270-E

MSI Z270 Gaming M5

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

This is the PSU I used:
EVGA 750G2

This is the CPU I used:
G3900

6 Likes

I just saw your video, great ! Have you tested x370 MB ? regarding your RIG, will also work with 8 nvidia GPU ? (I just saw the title :smiley: )

1 Like

I have not tried x370 yet but will try tb350 tomorrow, been waiting a long time to put that one together, had all the parts for a week+ now just not the time.

Same with the 8 GPU rigs, i have have one more to build tomorrow with 480s

Yes nicehash got 8 Nvidia working with z270-a so its the same, will work with this board too, just like how I built this.

1 Like

Does it work with the asus z270-K instead of P or A
thanks for your help

Has 8-6 GPUs been tried with the Z270-E ?.

Intention is to re-purpose the board in the future.

no, 2 of those slots are pci slots… so if it could work with 8 GPUs, the method would be different *using extenders etc… and im not sure about the 4G decoding on that board, but it should have it… but again, only 4 PCIE slots… so better get one with 6.

Any of these boards should work:

Asus Z270-P

Asus Z270-A

Asus Z270-AR

Asus H270-Plus

Asus Strixx Z270-E

MSI Z270 Gaming M5

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

2 Likes

Hi Cryptomined how are you doing today? I’m having a situation I wanted to consult with you. I have a MSI Z170A Gaming M5 MOBO and it only recognizes 4 GPUs, when I add a 5th GPU then only 2 work and the other 3 show the warning triangle in the device manager. I see people advising to enable 4G encoding, but everytime I enable it I can’t get video when windows boots. Thanks in advanced.

hmm im not sure exactly but i woud try everything related to the GPU in the motherboard bios and possibly try other drivers for the cards in windows.

i would think it has something to do with the drivers or hte fact that maybe GPU is not set to primary display adapter in bios.

@cryptomined huge thanks for taking the time to create this guide! I am stuck with 8x NVIDIA GTX 1070 which relatively easily get detected up to the 7th but the 8 breaks everything. Even after re-installing NVIDIA drivers I am still stuck with 7 and the 8th showing as “display” with a question mark!

My concrete question would be: how do you (if I need to at all) do the combined driver trick for NVIDIA cards. I will owe you 50$ if you could help me fix this :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: LOL it just worked haha! I see 8! But it was so difficult. CRAZY.

i just bought the Asus Z270-A motherboard, it has 7 pcie, and 2 m.2, so technically it should be able to do 9 gpu’s. do you know if this is possible? or will windows 10 not accept it?

Don’t know about 9, but 8 yes. NiceHash - Leading Cryptocurrency Platform for Mining and Trading

How did you get card #8? It keeps crashing on me when I try to mine on Claymores, please help, i’d like to know what you did!

Hey crypto, what Nvidia drivers do you use to mine with your Aorus 1080 Ti’s? I’m building my Rig right now with same cards and would like to know this ahead to avoid problems

Very nice I plan do make a 6 gpu rig tax time. I have a 5 gpu rig running at 1600h/s with claymore 1200w power supply. Been looking at some GeForce 1070s and 2 power supply totaling 1850watts .

Do I need to have a dual motherboard power connector when using 2 power supplys? Only reason I ask is because I just ordered the connector and another Power supply but the connector won’t be delivered until mid July. I also noticed I haven’t seen many people plugging their miners into surge protectors.

Has anyone had any luck with the MSI Z270 Gaming M3?

Look up how to boot with the nomodeset option in grub. That may solve the display issue when 4g is enabled. The bigger issue of multi-gpu support was solved for me by updating my motherboard bios (msi z170a sli plus).

Windows only accepts up to 8 GPUs. You can do it on linux(including ethos, simeplemining) with 9 or even more.
I heard that it is possible to do 6 AMD+6 Nvidia on windows but not sure since no one ever made a video testing it yet.

How much is a sata riser?

about 6-7$ for a sata riser today, but stock is getting hard to get, so if things keep up and factories dont have more in a week or so, prices could go up on risers just like they did GPUs… all demand and supply