GPU Riser

Hi,
Very new to this and trying to get my V6 riser rig to work.
First basic question, does the Graphics card need to be one that takes a direct power supply? I have one which is just powered by the PCIe slot and the fan spins up fine however I just can’t get it to register on my PC that there’s a graphics card there.
The riser is powered by an old PC power supply, using the SATA converter but I’ve seen a post saying just go straight to Molex. Will do that.
Any help appreciated.
Tjanks

yes gpu needs to be connected to a psu. the fans will spin if connected to the pcie slot (via riser) but the gpu will not operate properly unless connected to a psu.

Mining Zcash with a GPU is not profitable, you will spend more $$$ in power than you will make

he can mine ycash with gpu

Profitability is based on current prices, if zcash were tens of thousands of dollars it would be profitable so who knows
But if that’s the strategy then yes ycash may earn you a few dollars per day

The graphics card I’m testing this with doesn’t take a direct power supply, does this mean you can’t use these types of cards and you must use a card that takes a direct power supply?

To end this confusion, what GPU do you have ?

AMD or Nvidia ?
After that, what model is it ?
For example a Nvidia GTX 1050 4 gb or something like that.
If it doesn’t have it’s own power, it may be a GPU that’s to old.

But just some more info would be nice, otherwise it will be hard to try to solve your problem :wink:

Sounds like a driver issue, assuming it’s getting power than the computer doesn’t have the driver to recognize it
In windows/hardware properties, scan for Hardware changes, if that doesn’t work use DDU to uninstall the existing driver and reboot to safe mode, reinstall the driver

Are they any of these?